Sulcata shell

dict

5 Year Member
Hi guys!

This is fred. He is around 1.5 years old and is growing very fast and healthy. However, I noticed that his shell is not growing evenly. Could anybody explain if this is normal?

Regards
Ben

Attachments

• 1387595330537.jpg
    1387595330537.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 159

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is pyramiding. What is the humidity in the enclosure? Please read Toms threads below in my post.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I concur with Wellington . Read Toms theads .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
The 3rd back row of scutes is turning in...maybe the start of MBD?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Ben, Welcome to the forum. Many of our members have found that keeping them in a humid (80%) environment helps the shell to grow more evenly. Tom's threads, as Barb suggested, describes how to go about doing this. I believe that if you follow his guide and stick with it you will really like the results. As with most things tortoise, it will take a while to see any change.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Keep your baby hot and humid = healthy and happy. When you read Tom's threads you will see and then check out the wonderful results people are having by doing this. Soak your baby also. If they are kept too dry, lights and all, they dehydrate, dessicate, go jerky, if you will. Thank goodness a lot of time and observation has come together on this forum with all these keepers, to help others, like yourself, to prevent the lumpy tortoise. Read-read-read and ask any questions you may have. We all want your baby to thrive! : )