sulcata socal people

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
my 6 in tortoise has been outside for the summer, my question to you all is when are you bringing in your little ones in for the winter? she's 5 and she's been an indoor tort all her life, she needed sunshine and exercise sooo much when she came to me, and she'll still get that in the winter thanks to our lovely weather, but i want to bring her in for the cold nights. i don't know how she'll do for an outdoor winter season, so i can provide her with a big indoor enclosure so thats the way i'm going.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
re-reading my post, i think i answered my own question lol woops, sorry guys

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I've been bringing Mo in when its below 60. He hides in a dense bunch ivy.
So far that has worked well for me. He stays on a LectroKennel heat mat in my spare bedroom, covered I a small towel (now deemed his and never washes so it smells familiar) and a bushy fake plant to make it more natural.

Again, so far he shows no sign of stress or anxiety. Just sleeps, then back outside in the morning just before I leave for work.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How do you plan to get her to come into the house at night when she weighs 70+ pounds? I think your idea is good for now. It's better to get her inside for the winter while you can still carry her. Maybe, you'll be able to get some enclosure set up to hold heat and humidity outside. Keep us posted on future plans for your outside enclosure.:)
rayneygirl said:
my 6 in tortoise has been outside for the summer, my question to you all is when are you bringing in your little ones in for the winter? she's 5 and she's been an indoor tort all her life, she needed sunshine and exercise sooo much when she came to me, and she'll still get that in the winter thanks to our lovely weather, but i want to bring her in for the cold nights. i don't know how she'll do for an outdoor winter season, so i can provide her with a big indoor enclosure so thats the way i'm going.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
yea for now she's able to come into my house, but i do have plans for when she's bigger. our back yard is pretty big, theres a patio where part is gated, and then it continues, then the lawn, and another back patio. without pictures its a little hard to explain perhaps i should take some. i do plan to have her in the back patio, after reinforcing the fence. her hide will be an insulated shed, ive seen pix on here of some and they look really great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At that size, I would bring her in to a large indoor enclosure for winter, but still put her out on warm days. In late June next year, I would have the outdoor enclosure all done up with an insulated night box, and leave her outside for good. My boxes have a fold up door that acts as a ramp during the day, so each night I lock them up, and each morning I pop the door open for them. It's okay if they come out and graze and wander around on a cool day (talking winter 2014 here for you), as long as they can retreat to their heated box when they start to get too cool.

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
i completely agree with everything you say. looking forward to getting my hands dirty and building her something spectacular next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.