Sulcata Socializing and Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaymeB

5 Year Member
I just purchased 5 year old Sulcata from craigslist. The person who had this tortoise clearly didn't take good care of it (pretty bad pyramiding) and I believe it was abused. I noticed some puncture marks that could be from a dog perhaps? He is very very shy and scared- is there a way to re-socialize him and minimize his pyramiding as he grows? 20130507_181324.jpg20130506_204202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, not sure you can really help the pyramiding. However, to me looks like it has MBD. Lots of good food, sunlight and some calcium and vitamins should help him out alot. As for socializing, yes you should be able to work through that, maybe. Some are just not social, some are. Sit with him, come to him from the front and not from over him and give him some time. With the proper care he will probably come around when he realizes he now has it good.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Poor thing! I'm glad he's with you now!

Life is good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jayme, and welcome to the Forum!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Bless his heart......he needs alot of love!!
I am so glad you saved him!! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sadly it does look like he has MBD along with the pyramiding. Those issues will never fully go away, but with the proper care from this point forward it can get better. With time the pyramiding will give the visual impression that is it less, even though that's just the new growth creating the illusion.

He reminds me of my little guy named Dude. Often with tortoises in this kind of shape they have other issues, such as difficulty with being able to graze properly or their rear ends tend to be malformed causing issues with passing eggs or even eliminating wastes, so be sure to check those things out. I look forward to comparing how he does for you with how Dude does. Glad you have him! :)

JaymeB

5 Year Member
Is there a specific diet I should focus on with this condition? Or extra vitamins (besides calcium)?

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Poor boy. Looks like he needs a lot of TLC. Which I'm glad you are able to provide. Give him lots of lovin, and work with him slowly. Most animals like this take a while to come around. As for the puncture wounds, I used a Betadine/honey/water solution to clean wounds of my animals when they're hurt. That's just what I myself use, but above all keep them clean, which I'm sure you know :)

Good luck with this soul.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
welcome..
I hope you didn't pay much for him.... calcium, sunshine, good food and exercise..... he can get better, but he will never be 'normal'.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
He reminded me of Dude, too. Poor thing, being afraid all the time. I'm so glad you have him and you're here finding out how to care for him properly!

JaymeB

5 Year Member
Just wanted to update everyone! Bowser def. Seems to be doing better! Eating and pooping normally- seems stronger and much more active. He ate from my hand for the first time today so trust is in the works! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.