Sulcata stopped drinking water

Cscoffee1

Location (City and/or State)
Miami Texas
Been thinking of trying that!
I would gladly give you some to try. At Larry's rate, this bag will last us 10 years! He eats a small amount about once a week, anymore than that he wont touch. Alot of people swear by it, Larry just likes being a PATOOT!

Cscoffee1

Miami Texas
Never tried that. Looks a lot like Zoomed pellets. Are the ingredients pure Timothy grass? No additives like vitamins etc...that might me geared for a mammal? Pure hay would be great. One of the reasons I like Zoomed is it is helping train our baby Sulcatas. Our Leopards will graze on grass and dried hays...but our baby Sulcatas because of hydration problems have been only fed “wet” foods including soaked Zoomed. But I overfeed them so there is Zoomed left over...which dries overnite...making mulched, little pieces of dry “hay”. Then by not feeding them in the morning...their only option is to eat the dry Zoomed hay. I’ve found with the babies...larger pieces of natural hay...are harder for babies to eat...and they have a tendency to ignore it somewhat. The horse pellets look chopped up enough for the babies...which is good and it’s processed which I like. I’ve read articles about “feed store” hay and maybe an issue. I don’t remember all the particulars but there is some impurity ( maybe a fungus ) that is present in most...but in low levels as per government regs. For most torts...this fungus? doesn’t cause a problem...but to the ones that it does effect it causes a respiratory infection that is hard to diagnose and treat. Think like how some people are affected by say gluten or dairy or peanuts. You could have a family with parents and siblings and one member has an issue and the rest don’t. This is why I prefer “processed” hays and I’m uncomfortable with say feeding a bale of hay

Cscoffee1

Miami Texas
Never tried that. Looks a lot like Zoomed pellets. Are the ingredients pure Timothy grass? No additives like vitamins etc...that might me geared for a mammal? Pure hay would be great. One of the reasons I like Zoomed is it is helping train our baby Sulcatas. Our Leopards will graze on grass and dried hays...but our baby Sulcatas because of hydration problems have been only fed “wet” foods including soaked Zoomed. But I overfeed them so there is Zoomed left over...which dries overnite...making mulched, little pieces of dry “hay”. Then by not feeding them in the morning...their only option is to eat the dry Zoomed hay. I’ve found with the babies...larger pieces of natural hay...are harder for babies to eat...and they have a tendency to ignore it somewhat. The horse pellets look chopped up enough for the babies...which is good and it’s processed which I like. I’ve read articles about “feed store” hay and maybe an issue. I don’t remember all the particulars but there is some impurity ( maybe a fungus ) that is present in most...but in low levels as per government regs. For most torts...this fungus? doesn’t cause a problem...but to the ones that it does effect it causes a respiratory infection that is hard to diagnose and treat. Think like how some people are affected by say gluten or dairy or peanuts. You could have a family with parents and siblings and one member has an issue and the rest don’t. This is why I prefer “processed” hays and I’m uncomfortable with say feeding a bale of hay or grasses for livestock. But this is just me.

Attachments

• 20201111_111653.jpg
    20201111_111653.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9

Cscoffee1

Miami Texas
Never tried that. Looks a lot like Zoomed pellets. Are the ingredients pure Timothy grass? No additives like vitamins etc...that might me geared for a mammal? Pure hay would be great. One of the reasons I like Zoomed is it is helping train our baby Sulcatas. Our Leopards will graze on grass and dried hays...but our baby Sulcatas because of hydration problems have been only fed “wet” foods including soaked Zoomed. But I overfeed them so there is Zoomed left over...which dries overnite...making mulched, little pieces of dry “hay”. Then by not feeding them in the morning...their only option is to eat the dry Zoomed hay. I’ve found with the babies...larger pieces of natural hay...are harder for babies to eat...and they have a tendency to ignore it somewhat. The horse pellets look chopped up enough for the babies...which is good and it’s processed which I like. I’ve read articles about “feed store” hay and maybe an issue. I don’t remember all the particulars but there is some impurity ( maybe a fungus ) that is present in most...but in low levels as per government regs. For most torts...this fungus? doesn’t cause a problem...but to the ones that it does effect it causes a respiratory infection that is hard to diagnose and treat. Think like how some people are affected by say gluten or dairy or peanuts. You could have a family with parents and siblings and one member has an issue and the rest don’t. This is why I prefer “processed” hays and I’m uncomfortable with say feeding a bale of hay or grasses for livestock. But this is just me.
Maybe that's our problem! Larry grazes outside, loves the grass that's dry, turning brown due Fall approaching. He wont hardly touch the green grass! Ugh :(

Skip K

Virginia
Maybe that's our problem! Larry grazes outside, loves the grass that's dry, turning brown due Fall approaching. He wont hardly touch the green grass! Ugh :(
Our Leopards eat anything...diets, store bought food, lawn grass, weeds, hostas...on and on..lol. But the Sulcata babies are a little overwhelmed with tall lawn grass. Hopefully this will change as they get bigger. Our Redfoots love the plants but are indifferent to lawn grass

Skip K

Virginia
I think I only spent around $20 at Tractor Supply. I don't mind mailing you a sandwich bag full, no cost.
Thank you for the offer...but we have a tractor supply near us actually. Never went in but...looks like that’ll change! Lol

Cscoffee1

Miami Texas
Our Leopards eat anything...diets, store bought food, lawn grass, weeds, hostas...on and on..lol. But the Sulcata babies are a little overwhelmed with tall lawn grass. Hopefully this will change as they get bigger. Our Redfoots love the plants but are indifferent to lawn grass
Our Sulcata eats free range grass, the kind that's on the other side of his enclosure! As soon as I pu him in his enclosure he gives me stink eye, barely eats. Lol (fyi, it's the same grass, all in my backyard)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For a cheaper zoo Med alternative check out @Kapidolo Farms he makes his own pellets and is as close to true organic you can get. My leopard even eats them and he goes by his greens twice per day before eating like they might change into something else

Skip K

Virginia
For a cheaper zoo Med alternative check out @Kapidolo Farms he makes his own pellets and is as close to true organic you can get. My leopard even eats them and he goes by his greens twice per day before eating like they might change into something else
Very true...Zoomed is certainly not cheap

Suzan Briggs

My 5 year old sulcata used to drink water about every other day. A little over 2 months ago, he developed a respiratory infection and our vet prescribed Baytril injections. His respiratory issues resolved, however he hasn't drank since!
Took him back to the vet, due to him straining to have a bowel movement. She said he was compacted and pulled out alot of dehydrated feces. She reccomended that I feed him watermelon, cucumbers, bell peppers, basically food with high water content. Has anyone had this happen? Any tips on how to make him drink water again?
Mine are 17 and neither of them want to drink or soak . I keep water within their reach I see them drink maybe every other month a little , so I give them food high in moister about every week in summer . I watch their urinating to make sure that’s normal . I heard that they can get stones if dehydrated. I also will run the hose for them to play in on extra hot days and they will play or not depending on their mood s .

Cscoffee1

Miami Texas
Mine are 17 and neither of them want to drink or soak . I keep water within their reach I see them drink maybe every other month a little , so I give them food high in moister about every week in summer . I watch their urinating to make sure that’s normal . I heard that they can get stones if dehydrated. I also will run the hose for them to play in on extra hot days and they will play or not depending on their mood s .
I've been giving foods high in moisture, just so strange that he drank water often, then decided that he no longer wants it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, maybe its normal ?‍♀️

Skip K

Virginia
I've been giving foods high in moisture, just so strange that he drank water often, then decided that he no longer wants it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, maybe its normal ?‍♀️
Any change in behavior...if husbandry is the same...I’d keep an eye on just as a precaution

Cscoffee1

Miami Texas
Any change in behavior...if husbandry is the same...I’d keep an eye on just as a precaution
For the most part, he's the same. His energy level is a little less than normal, but the vet thinks it's due to winter approaching.
I'll definitely keep eye out ;)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Well, close, but not exactly. These are indeed ZooMed pellets that I sell. The giant 50# bags indicate they are non-GMO, which is a step towards organic, but not the same thing. I do not put the word "ZooMed" on the bags I sell, as that would be a copyright infringement. If you look at Amazon and search for 'Grassland' tortoise food you will find many people re-bag from 50# to smaller amounts. I set my price point to beat Chewy and Amazon for the same weight or even slightly more. I'm good with the slightly less profit. It's a much better food than Mazuri etc.

I apologize if somehow that was not clear before. I do sell re-bagged ZooMed pellets foods. It;'s not my own formulation.

The PM layer crumbles, which are indeed organic, are manufactured by Purina Mills. I re-bag that too.