Sulcata (Tito) Outside for the Texas Summer

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Frisco, Texas
A bit of background before I ask for advice. I got a baby Sulcata on Sept 30, 2016, his weight was 62 grams. This was my first tortoise so I read a lot of information on this site and built him a indoor enclosure. The enclosure is 8' X 3' X 30", temp kept at 80-82 degrees and humidity at 76-78%. He currently weights around 15 pounds and measures 15" from the front of his shell to the back of his shell and 15" from one side of his shell to the other (almost sounds like he's square ha ha). We soak him everyday, which he totally loves. The way we know he is a male is from time to time when I pick him up out of the water his manhood is hanging out!! I live in the Dallas Texas area and want to build him an outdoor enclosure. I have two ideas and wanted to get your advice. I was thinking on building an "enclosure" (night box) and putting it on my patio with a pig blanket and hanging ceramic heater (I know this would be temp until he got bigger) or building a insulated shed (not sure of size but would take suggestions) with pig blanket and heater (please suggest type). I don't have any trees large enough to put the shed under so it would get pretty hot inside in the summer months (temps range from 90-100 during the day and in the low 80's at night). Is he big enough to stay outside? Do I need a AC/Heater to keep the enclosure in the 80 degree range? Does the enclosure need to have a humidifier?20171123_123314.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking sully.
If it were me, I would go ahead and build the shed. It will be the perminent enclosure. If you build the box, you may still need the shed. Unless of course you don't ever get too cold or snow too ever need a shed, then go with the box.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You don't need air conditioning, in my opinion. We get hotter than you, and I don't have it. Charlie doesn't use his nightbox during the summer because our summer nights stay warm. It helps to have a shady area he can go to get out of the sun. A pond would be great. Charlie has a muddy depression he likes to sit in to cool off.

I wouldn't use a ceramic heater. Either a radiant heat panel with a pig blanket or a radiator.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
Gorgeous tort, I don’t have any input for you, I just wanted to say that I live in the Dallas area as well.

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
Another DFW resident here. Your tortoise is beautiful. Wish we could have a giant like yours, but our yard just isn't big enough.

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Nice looking sully.
If it were me, I would go ahead and build the shed. It will be the perminent enclosure. If you build the box, you may still need the shed. Unless of course you don't ever get too cold or snow too ever need a shed, then go with the box.
Thank you for your advise!! I agree, the shed will be more expensive and will take a bit longer to complete but in the end the shed is a must for this big fella.

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
You don't need air conditioning, in my opinion. We get hotter than you, and I don't have it. Charlie doesn't use his nightbox during the summer because our summer nights stay warm. It helps to have a shady area he can go to get out of the sun. A pond would be great. Charlie has a muddy depression he likes to sit in to cool off.

I wouldn't use a ceramic heater. Either a radiant heat panel with a pig blanket or a radiator.
Thank you for your response!! I think the shed is the way to go. I will install a couple of windows and hopefully there will be a cross breeze to cool down the shed on those hot summer days/nights. I think I'll build a small covered patio connected to the shed for shad and take your advise on installing a small water soak area (maybe a shallow kiddie pool recessed in the ground). Any recommendations on the heat panel/radiator or pig blanket?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for your response!! I think the shed is the way to go. I will install a couple of windows and hopefully there will be a cross breeze to cool down the shed on those hot summer days/nights. I think I'll build a small covered patio connected to the shed for shad and take your advise on installing a small water soak area (maybe a shallow kiddie pool recessed in the ground). Any recommendations on the heat panel/radiator or pig blanket?
I use a Kane heat mat on the floor: https://kanemfg.com/product/baby-pig-heat-mat-double-48/ and an 80 watt radiant heat panel in the ceiling: http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels
Some people use a water heater drain pan for a soaking area.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you should think about planting a tree. A mulberry tree would serve double purpose - shade for the shed and food for the tortoise. Nothing keeps a shed cooler than sitting it under a tree. Mulberry trees grow pretty fast. And in the meantime, while you're waiting for the tree to grow enough to provide shade, you can position either shade cloth or parachute sails over the shed. My Dudley's shed is very well insulated, but sits in direct sun. In our over 100F degree summer weather the inside of the shed is hot enough to be uncomfortable. Thank goodness he hasn't decided to dig a burrow, because he has a large bush he can retreat to when it gets too hot. So last summer I put up shade cloth over the shed. It helps a little. But you have to have it up high. High shade, not laying directly on the shed.

Reactions: Tom

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
I think you should think about planting a tree. A mulberry tree would serve double purpose - shade for the shed and food for the tortoise. Nothing keeps a shed cooler than sitting it under a tree. Mulberry trees grow pretty fast. And in the meantime, while you're waiting for the tree to grow enough to provide shade, you can position either shade cloth or parachute sails over the shed. My Dudley's shed is very well insulated, but sits in direct sun. In our over 100F degree summer weather the inside of the shed is hot enough to be uncomfortable. Thank goodness he hasn't decided to dig a burrow, because he has a large bush he can retreat to when it gets too hot. So last summer I put up shade cloth over the shed. It helps a little. But you have to have it up high. High shade, not laying directly on the shed.
Thank You for your advice Yvonne!! I shouldn't say that i don't have a tree in my back yard because I do, but I don't think it's big enough to put a shed under. It's a live oak and is about 15' tall. I think you're absolutely spot on, a mulberry tree would be great and provide food for my boy!!! After a lot of thought, I think I'm going to build a small temporary "house" (5' X 5' X 5', with a couple small windows) for this summer and place it on my covered patio (which also has a shade to block the direct sun and two ceiling fans). This will give the "house" shad, me time to plant a tree, time to design and build the shed and run electricity to it. I would rather take my time and build it right the first time!!! Thank everyone for providing input, your great ideas and making me think this shed idea out fully!!!!! This forum and the people on it are the greatest!!!!!!

steppingonlegos

5 Year Member
This isn’t at all helpful but I can’t get past your stats?!!! You got a tortoise 18 months ago that was like a tenth of a pound and now he’s 15 lbs?? Surely there’s a typo in there somewhere?

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
A bit of background before I ask for advice. I got a baby Sulcata on Sept 30, 2016, his weight was 62 grams. This was my first tortoise so I read a lot of information on this site and built him a indoor enclosure. The enclosure is 8' X 3' X 30", temp kept at 80-82 degrees and humidity at 76-78%. He currently weights around 15 pounds and measures 15" from the front of his shell to the back of his shell and 15" from one side of his shell to the other (almost sounds like he's square ha ha). We soak him everyday, which he totally loves. The way we know he is a male is from time to time when I pick him up out of the water his manhood is hanging out!! I live in the Dallas Texas area and want to build him an outdoor enclosure. I have two ideas and wanted to get your advice. I was thinking on building an "enclosure" (night box) and putting it on my patio with a pig blanket and hanging ceramic heater (I know this would be temp until he got bigger) or building a insulated shed (not sure of size but would take suggestions) with pig blanket and heater (please suggest type). I don't have any trees large enough to put the shed under so it would get pretty hot inside in the summer months (temps range from 90-100 during the day and in the low 80's at night). Is he big enough to stay outside? Do I need a AC/Heater to keep the enclosure in the 80 degree range? Does the enclosure need to have a humidifier?View attachment 233972
He’s very handsome!

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
This isn’t at all helpful but I can’t get past your stats?!!! You got a tortoise 18 months ago that was like a tenth of a pound and now he’s 15 lbs?? Surely there’s a typo in there somewhere?
No typo!!! He's a big boy and continues to grow quickly!! I found this forum within days of getting him, built multiple enclosures, went through multiple heaters, humidifiers, lights and took all the advice of the people on this forum (including the food that was recommended). Friends that come over and haven't seen Tito in awhile can't believe how big he is either!!! It may be hard to believe but absolutely true!!!!!