Sulcata (Tito) Outside for the Texas Summer

Kadels

5 Year Member
This isn’t at all helpful but I can’t get past your stats?!!! You got a tortoise 18 months ago that was like a tenth of a pound and now he’s 15 lbs?? Surely there’s a typo in there somewhere?
My thought, too. Growth would be way too fast and not healthy. Also, a tortoise less than 2 years old wouldn’t have boy parts hanging out at any time.

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Frisco, Texas
No typo!!! He's a big boy and continues to grow quickly!! I found this forum within days of getting him, built multiple enclosures, went through multiple heaters, humidifiers, lights and took all the advice of the people on this forum (including the food that was recommended). Friends that come over and haven't seen Tito in awhile can't believe how big he is either!!! It may be hard to believe but absolutely true!!!!!
Beautiful tort. We are also in Dallas.
Thank You!! Do you have a Sulcata? If so, do you keep him/her outside?

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Frisco, Texas
My thought, too. Growth would be way too fast and not healthy. Also, a tortoise less than 2 years old wouldn’t have boy parts hanging out at any time.
Not sure how to reply. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this can give there thoughts? A few months after I got him I called the vets office to take him in so they could do a health check up and was told if he's not having any issues it would be better, for him, not to bring him in because he was small and would lose body heat and that would be hard on him (it was around Nov/Dec time frame so it was cooler outside, for the Dallas area). I'm not sure of his age since I don't know when he was born/hatched but the dates, times and his weight I do know!! Sorry if this don't sound right but I'm telling you the facts, No BS!!!

Kadels

5 Year Member
Thank You!! Do you have a Sulcata? If so, do you keep him/her outside?
Yes, I have a Sulcata. She is 25-30 pounds and is in an outside enclosure that my friends built. I have a concrete patio - that is where the enclosure is. That makes the floor colder in the winter, but it is in shade and is somewhat protected from the elements.