sulcata to CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuluboytimmy

5 Year Member
Two years ago, (due to MI economy) my son relocated to CA, leaving me his 15 year old sulcata,Zulu, at that time much to my dismay. Now he wants him back :( :(. Although it is breaking my heart I have to return him. Is it safe for him to be shipped in the cargo area of a plane? I wanted to drive him to CA, but it is almost impossible due to expense and time restraints. Amtrak, my first choice, does not allow animals on the train. I can't believe how attached i have become to Zulu, although it has been a strain on my back to carry all 35 lbs of him up and down the stairs daily to take him out to the back yard for sun and walks, I am going to miss him.

Some history on my time with Zulu:
8-1-10 - Son relocating to CA ..so sad to see him go and sad he was leaving me his 15 - 20 pound African Spurred Sulcata, Zulu. Spending numerous, numerous hours on the internet researching how to care for him. Setting him up in the basement under the heating vent with an ultraviolet light. Everything fine until March 2011 when Zula was listless and loss his appetite, took him to a vet $300.00 where he was diagnosed with a cold and sent home with antibiotic injections that I had to give him in his upper thigh terrible and painful experience for Zulu and myself! One time he moved and i injected my own finger. He spent many nights on my lap under a blanket keeping warm. He got better and we formed a loving bond! Sorry for carrying on so...and I better stop now before I get too emotional.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) from my understanding they can not. You can ship him overnight through fedex, ups or if you have Delta dash, you can ship through them. See what others that have shipped say. I know Chicago O,hare has delta dash if you want to drive him here and ship. Maybe Detroit? Good luck, sorry you have to give him up. However, there are many that need a home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. They are shipped in planes all over the country every day. It will be no problem. CA is a much better place for him than in a MI basement all winter.

Perhaps you could get a tortoise of your own once he is gone. There are some other species that might suit you better, since most sulcatas are around 100 pounds by 15 years old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. They are shipped in planes all over the country every day. It will be no problem. CA is a much better place for him than in a MI basement all winter.

Perhaps you could get a tortoise of your own once he is gone. There are some other species that might suit you better, since most sulcatas are around 100 pounds by 15 years old.

Tom, are they shipped in passenger planes though? When I had inquired about it, I was told no by AA and United.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dogs are shipped in passenger planes in the cargo hold.. why not a tortoise?
Delta dash is the one I hear most often.. or Fed Ex

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know why, but there are a lot of reptiles they won't ship.
I just looked on AA they only except dogs and cats. They also will not except some snub nose, as they call them breeds. The breeds are listed. I don't think any airline will take them on a passenger plane. I think it has to be a cargo only. The best thing to do, would be to call the airline you are flying with.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum! :)

Does your son know how attached you've gotten to Zulu?

Assuming your son is an adult, if he really wants Zulu back, he should be the one doing all the research on how to ship him or he should drive home and pick him up.

You've done so much for this tortoise, it seems unfair that you have to part with him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
I don't know why, but there are a lot of reptiles they won't ship.
I just looked on AA they only except dogs and cats. They also will not except some snub nose, as they call them breeds. The breeds are listed. I don't think any airline will take them on a passenger plane. I think it has to be a cargo only. The best thing to do, would be to call the airline you are flying with.

These rules are for excess baggage on normal passenger flights. They can be shipped as cargo at any time from most airlines. Sometimes they impose seasonal temperature restrictions. When you ship with FedEx or UPS these things are not an issue. All of my babies are shipped all over the place with FedEx. For a bigger tortoise you just need a bigger box and will pay more for the weight.

When I fly with animals around the country or around the world, we have done it both as excess baggage and as cargo but on the same flight. A few times we have gone on commercial cargo flights and got to ride in the jump seats behind the cockpit. On one night flight me and my co-trainer were on a cargo flight with a couple of dogs and the Captain invited us to ride IN the cockpit with them. Even during take of and landing. It was a COMPLETELY different experience getting to see everything that goes on up there. She (the captain) and her two copilots showed us all the instruments and everything. She showed us how they watch the storms on Doppler and fly under, over or around the rough air spots. We watched lightning hit the plane (a regular occurrence apparently). She showed how "auto pilot" works and what its limitations are. It was awesome and very humbling. Got some neat pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.