Sulcata Tortoise Baby-Not Active Cont..

Foxyxmulder

Location (City and/or State)
Naples, FL
I posted yesterday regarding my baby Sulcata tortoise. I have since fixed his home by adding a cover and getting a MV Lamp. His temp is 80 ambient and 95 hotspot and humidity at 80-85%. I removed water dish from habitat and got a humid hide, which I put him in last night.

This AM during his soak (and every soak so far), he is STILL not doing anything. Literally just sitting there…eyes closed…no attempt to move..no poop..I have made sure water does not drop below 80.

See photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I posted yesterday regarding my baby Sulcata tortoise. I have since fixed his home by adding a cover and getting a MV Lamp. His temp is 80 ambient and 95 hotspot and humidity at 80-85%. I removed water dish from habitat and got a humid hide, which I put him in last night.

This AM during his soak (and every soak so far), he is STILL not doing anything. Literally just sitting there…eyes closed…no attempt to move..no poop..I have made sure water does not drop below 80.

See photo
MV lamps should not be used over tortoises. They are unreliable, temperamental, and cause pyramiding.

Soak water should be 90-95. 80 is too cool.

Foxyxmulder

Naples, FL
MV lamps should not be used over tortoises. They are unreliable, temperamental, and cause pyramiding.

Soak water should be 90-95. 80 is too cool.
Do you have suggestions on how to keep water that hot for 15-30 minutes? I have not found a way to keep that shallow of a dish of water to maintain that temp

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have suggestions on how to keep water that hot for 15-30 minutes? I have not found a way to keep that shallow of a dish of water to maintain that temp
You just have to keep bailing the water out as it cools and topping up with warm.

Reactions: Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Set the soaking bowl back inside the enclosure NEXT TO where the light shines on the floor of the enclosure, but NOT directly under the light.

Reactions: Tom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Has he moved at all? Does he react if you poke his leg? Is he breathing?