sulcata tortoise+brucellosis

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Such an interesting question... Mind sharing how you arrived at it? (It sounds like something I'd ask, but it never occurred to me to ask it.)

I found a paper online that mentioned the presence of Brucella antibodies in wild reptiles and amphibians in Pakistan. The reptiles sampled included Yellow Spotted Mud Turtles (Geoclemys hamiltoni). No mention of them showing any symptoms, just that they were seropositive for Brucella antibodies.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah, I looked it up as well, just to be aware of “it”. Doesnt seem to be much of an issue or concern with reptiles. So, I’m wondering why the question was asked?

➡️➡️ Brucellosis is a bacterial infection that spreads from animals to people. Most commonly, people are infected by eating raw or unpasteurized dairy products. Sometimes, the bacteria that cause brucellosis can spread through the air or through direct contact with infected animals.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I asked the question because I breed dogs and have had some litter dying from unknown causes. Went to a new vet and he listed things that could cause this. We sent off blood and saliva samples and have to wait for results. One of the things he listed was brucellosis. If it is that then our kennel is doomed. As well as some of our other animals. So I'm extremely worried about my torts. I haven't asked the vet yet but just thought someone here might know. My torts do not come in direct contact with anyone else but I can't control wild germs or bacteria.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I asked the question because I breed dogs and have had some litter dying from unknown causes. Went to a new vet and he listed things that could cause this. We sent off blood and saliva samples and have to wait for results. One of the things he listed was brucellosis. If it is that then our kennel is doomed. As well as some of our other animals. So I'm extremely worried about my torts. I haven't asked the vet yet but just thought someone here might know. My torts do not come in direct contact with anyone else but I can't control wild germs or bacteria.
Even if the issue with the dogs did happen to be brucellosis, you wouldn't have to worry about your tortoises getting that disease. However, you would need to be concerned about whether any human members of your household might have contracted it.

If the test results for the dogs come back as positive for brucellosis, make sure to ask whether there's any other known factor that could produce a false positive on that particular test. I don't recall where I read it now, but I think I ran across mention of bordatella causing a false positive on one type of test.

I hope you and the vet soon get to the bottom of what's causing the issue in the dogs. I know something like that would be driving me crazy with worry. I hope you get answers soon.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Update: Dogs don't have brucellosis or herpes ( who knew), but they have coccidia. So more meds and even more disinfecting. lol If it ain't one thing, it's another when you have animals in your family.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Update: Dogs don't have brucellosis or herpes ( who knew), but they have coccidia. So more meds and even more disinfecting. lol If it ain't one thing, it's another when you have animals in your family.
Further reading on canine brucellosis:

And canine herpesvirus:

Last edited:

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Further reading on canine brucellosis:

And canine herpesvirus:

Thank you. I always like to read about things that can affect my animals.