Sulcata tortoise health

Minitortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Miami FL
hello! 1 or 2 years ago(not sure when) my family adopted a baby sulcata tortoise, I recently found out it’s gender again, she’s a female. She’s, unfortunately, been living in a big enclosure that was meant for two bunnies we used to have. We recently moved her to a better home meant for reptiles like her. The reason I didn’t enjoy the bunny enclosed was because it had two floors, she could only use the first floor and it was pretty big and comfy except for the fact that when we added her heat source, it was too close and I was scared it would’ve hurt her. context as to why we had her in the bunny enclosure In the first place: my baby brother wanted a pet tortoise just like his cousin, and before even thinking my mom started looking up some tortoises for sale and eventually came across her, they Didn’t do much research and bought her anyways, they never even had a home for her, so her first home was just a plastic container with some flooring and a plate as shade, eventually moving into the bunny enclosure. after a few months my brother didnt seem like he wanted her anymore so I took her into my care, we bought her a new home and some vegetables. I woke up today and she was fine, but now I’m looking at her and it seems she’s not moving around much or getting out of her shell. She has gotten a bit cold since she was in some shade, so I decided to move her closer to the heat, not too close of course, but she still hasn’t gone out of her shell. i don’t know if I did something wrong. I’m new with owning tortoises, I wouldn’t like to give her up because we have what she needs just not the knowledge. please if any of you would like to respond and educate me on these questions. also, one last thing, we Have a dog, so when we first got her, there was an accident, I don’t have too much info on it but she now had a scar on her shell, right on top of her arm, and it wasn’t too deep either which was relieving at the time. It’s been a year since that’s happened, so it’s healed.

update, she got out of her shell but isn’t moving too much, I know I’m being paranoid I just want to make sure she’s okay since she’s barely done that.

•when do tortoises usually hibernate?

•when can I tell if my tortoise has an infection?

• how do i keep the ants out of my tortoises enclosure without hurting my tortoise?

•how much water do tortoises drink?

•how many times should I bathe my tortoise in water?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Welcome to TFO, there is alot of information in this forum. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this site will help you with short-cut to this information. Goodluck and don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone here is concerned about the health for all Tortoises and Turtles. I sure "Tom" will send you that shortcut for that information. Sulcatas Tortoises don't hibernate.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Tortoises that hibernate hibernate in the colder months, March is too late for hibernation. Sulcata tortoises do not hibernate and shouldn’t ever be hibernated.

Symptoms of a respiratory infection include the following:
  • A runny nose (Can cause the nose to bubble)
  • Noisy breathing
  • Conjunctivitis (Discharge from eyes)
  • Reduced appetite
  • Fatigue
  • Gaping mouth

Ants shouldn’t bother your tortoise unless they are a species which is bitey. Pouring boiling water on any ants nest should kill them off. Ensure the tortoise is not in the enclosure whilst this is happening for obvious reasons.

Tortoises will drink when they need to drink. Regular soaks should still be offered to give them the opportunity to hydrate and assist in emptying their bowels. It also allows the keeper the opportunity to weigh and check the tortoise for anything worrying (Missing nails, shell rot, worms in stool, discharge in eyes, etc). Keeping a dish of water in their enclosure at all times gives them the ability to drink when they need it, and helps with humidity.

Hatchlings will need to be soaked every day, but with how long ago you said you got your tortoise, they should be much larger than hatchling size by now. There is no harm in soaking your tortoise every day, but try to offer at least 2 soaks a week, and allow them constant access for water.

Minitortoise

Miami FL
Welcome to TFO, there is alot of information in this forum. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this site will help you with short-cut to this information. Goodluck and don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone here is concerned about the health for all Tortoises and Turtles. I sure "Tom" will send you that shortcut for that information. Sulcatas Tortoises don't hibernate.
Thank you for the info. I was pretty nervous about asking for help, expecting some people to be mad at me for doing something wrong. But I went for it incase there was actually something wrong with my tortoise.

Minitortoise

Miami FL
Tortoises that hibernate hibernate in the colder months, March is too late for hibernation. Sulcata tortoises do not hibernate and shouldn’t ever be hibernated.

Symptoms of a respiratory infection include the following:
  • A runny nose (Can cause the nose to bubble)
  • Noisy breathing
  • Conjunctivitis (Discharge from eyes)
  • Reduced appetite
  • Fatigue
  • Gaping mouth

Ants shouldn’t bother your tortoise unless they are a species which is bitey. Pouring boiling water on any ants nest should kill them off. Ensure the tortoise is not in the enclosure whilst this is happening for obvious reasons.

Tortoises will drink when they need to drink. Regular soaks should still be offered to give them the opportunity to hydrate and assist in emptying their bowels. It also allows the keeper the opportunity to weigh and check the tortoise for anything worrying (Missing nails, shell rot, worms in stool, discharge in eyes, etc). Keeping a dish of water in their enclosure at all times gives them the ability to drink when they need it, and helps with humidity.

Hatchlings will need to be soaked every day, but with how long ago you said you got your tortoise, they should be much larger than hatchling size by now. There is no harm in soaking your tortoise every day, but try to offer at least 2 soaks a week, and allow them constant access for water.
Thank you so much for the info, it’s very relieving to be educated about tortoises. I will look into it more and update everyone in a few days

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a sulcata, like the title of the thread says, sulcatas DON'T hibernate. You have to keep them warm day and night.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
hello! 1 or 2 years ago(not sure when) my family adopted a baby sulcata tortoise, I recently found out it’s gender again, she’s a female. She’s, unfortunately, been living in a big enclosure that was meant for two bunnies we used to have. We recently moved her to a better home meant for reptiles like her. The reason I didn’t enjoy the bunny enclosed was because it had two floors, she could only use the first floor and it was pretty big and comfy except for the fact that when we added her heat source, it was too close and I was scared it would’ve hurt her. context as to why we had her in the bunny enclosure In the first place: my baby brother wanted a pet tortoise just like his cousin, and before even thinking my mom started looking up some tortoises for sale and eventually came across her, they Didn’t do much research and bought her anyways, they never even had a home for her, so her first home was just a plastic container with some flooring and a plate as shade, eventually moving into the bunny enclosure. after a few months my brother didnt seem like he wanted her anymore so I took her into my care, we bought her a new home and some vegetables. I woke up today and she was fine, but now I’m looking at her and it seems she’s not moving around much or getting out of her shell. She has gotten a bit cold since she was in some shade, so I decided to move her closer to the heat, not too close of course, but she still hasn’t gone out of her shell. i don’t know if I did something wrong. I’m new with owning tortoises, I wouldn’t like to give her up because we have what she needs just not the knowledge. please if any of you would like to respond and educate me on these questions. also, one last thing, we Have a dog, so when we first got her, there was an accident, I don’t have too much info on it but she now had a scar on her shell, right on top of her arm, and it wasn’t too deep either which was relieving at the time. It’s been a year since that’s happened, so it’s healed.

update, she got out of her shell but isn’t moving too much, I know I’m being paranoid I just want to make sure she’s okay since she’s barely done that.

• how do i keep the ants out of my tortoises enclosure without hurting my tortoise?

Hello!
I am by no means a sulcata expert (I have a very small Russian tortoise), but I am really good at attaching care sheets! This probably needs a few reads to digest, and then come back to ask more questions. When you are ready, @Tom is a great resource for knowledge.

Remember, this is a safe place to gain knowledge, not judgement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Read the care sheet that Mrs. Jennifer linked for you. All the correct care info is in there. It doesn't sound like you are maintaining the correct temperatures and humidity, and your little one will not survive without the correct conditions.

Be aware that sources other than this forum will all give you the old wrong care advice. This will frustrate you, and it won't work.

Get your baby warmed up ASAP.

Also, you can't sex them until they reach about 14-16 inches. They all look female when they are young.