Sulcata tortoise is getting darker in coloration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLynn0

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new to y'alls forum. I have a Sulcata tortoise named Squirt that I've had for 8 months now that I bought from an exotic pet store. I'm not sure how old she/he was when I bought him/her ( it was about 4 inches long ). Hopefully y'all can view the video I'm adding to this and can let me know if it's okay or not. The pet store that sold them didn't really tell me much for raising Squirt, but thank god for the internet! but thanks & I appreciate it!

p.s. i used it and he/she through out because I still have no clue if it's a male or female! lol... if y'all can tell from the video that'd be amazing as well!

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/nOUNVExevk8[/video]

KLynn0

5 Year Member
thank ya... but is it common for them to get darker in coloration as they get older?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. :) All is fine with your little squirt. The pyramiding is what you should concentrate on. They are suppose to be smooth. However, your not alone, so many are raised wrong in their early days and pyramid. You might be able to still get the new growth growing in smooth, if you give him a humid hide and or enclosure and soak him in warm water every other day for about 20-30 minutes. Check out the threads below. They are great for raising a smooth sulcata. The threads are for hatchlings, but if you adjust your enclosure some what similar, it may still help.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Nothing to worry about. :) Does he/she stay inside a lot? What kind of substrate do you have? No way to tell the sex from the pics, how big is your sulcata now? We will need to see a plastron (bottom shell) pic to have any idea what sex your tort is.

Here's a few sulcatas I got around a year ago, never went outside (maybe a few times their whole lives which is around 3 years) and they were extremely dark, skin and all.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-40713.html#axzz2AGo1Fxg6

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. Squirt looks like she is doing OK, but she has some pyramiding going on. Could you take a pic of her enclosure so that we could give you some tips on that? Also, she is probably too little to tell her sex right now, but if you would, take a pic of her whole bottom shell. Click the links below my signature, there is some good reading on raising your baby. Also some tips on pyramiding. And things to feed. Please take the time to read them because they are very good reading. Keep us updated on squirt...

Status
Not open for further replies.