Sulcata Tortoise Isn't Coming Out Of Her Hole

NobodyImportnat

Location (City and/or State)
Mount Pleasnt
So I have a Sulcata Tortoise that is 3 years, and I live in Texas and it's been cold lately, when it was warm too she wouldn't come out but I am trying to get her to bring her inside before it gets too cold. I would call her name to hopefully get her to get a move on to leave the hole but that didn't work. It is now 49°F and I want to bring her in before it gets any colder. I started to dig to just receive her out of the hole but when we were digging it was warm down there for her so my father said it's best to leave her. I know Sulcata Tortoise don't hibernate and the grass is soon going to die so I want to find a way to get her out soon. Please help me out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your father is wrong. You need to dig her out! The tortoise is too cold and it is instinctively going down into the earth where, in Africa, where they evolved, it would be warmer. Dig her out and set her up indoors with heat around 80-85°F.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Set her up with the temps Yvonne mentioned and they should remain at those temps day and night. She also needs uvb and a basking spot that reaches 95-100. Feed her and give her a water dish she can fit into.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You've got very good and very important advice! Good luck. Keep us informed of her progress inside her indoor home!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have a Sulcata Tortoise that is 3 years, and I live in Texas and it's been cold lately, when it was warm too she wouldn't come out but I am trying to get her to bring her inside before it gets too cold. I would call her name to hopefully get her to get a move on to leave the hole but that didn't work. It is now 49°F and I want to bring her in before it gets any colder. I started to dig to just receive her out of the hole but when we were digging it was warm down there for her so my father said it's best to leave her. I know Sulcata Tortoise don't hibernate and the grass is soon going to die so I want to find a way to get her out soon. Please help me out.
I concur. Its is already far too cold and you've waited too long. Dig this tortoise up ASAP.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Do you have any idea how deep her burrow is?

NobodyImportnat

Mount Pleasnt
Do you have any idea how deep her burrow is?
I have no idea how deep it is, I can't do anything I keep digging and I desided to stop because I don't want it to collapse and the dirt was very warm so I hope she will be fine. There is also a chance that she had gotten out at somepoint which I hope is the case.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no idea how deep it is, I can't do anything I keep digging and I desided to stop because I don't want it to collapse and the dirt was very warm so I hope she will be fine. There is also a chance that she had gotten out at somepoint which I hope is the case.
It won't be fine. Your tortoise will die down in that hole if you don't get her out.