Sulcata tortoise making strange sounds

lovingbenjamin

(Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to be posting this, I'm new.)
Two weeks ago (On January 3rd) I took my 2 1/2 year old sulcata to a reptile vet because he had red/puffy eyes and wasn't eating. As it turns out, he had an upper respiratory infection due to stress from malnutrition (the breeder we bought him from had told us to give him iceberg lettuce once a week, but up until the vet appointment, I had been feeding him red leaf lettuce everyday and occasionally letting him graze in our yard :( ). He was given a shot of antibiotics and they gave me eye ointment that was to be applied to both eyes every 8 hours as well as a care sheet that told me what he was supposed to be eating. I've completely changed his diet and he now eats grass and a variety of different veggies everyday.
I've noticed within the last day or two that he's been making loud, squeaky sounds. But when I go check on him, he looks and acts completely normal. We can't take him in for another checkup until our first reptile bill is paid off on the 20th of January, but I'm sick to my stomach with worry right now. I wanted to get Someone else's opinion before I take him back to the vet. Could this be caused by the infection? Is anyone else experiencing this? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20140112_150420.jpg
    20140112_150420.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
So only squeaky noises? No bubbles, no further eye issues, he is eating and active still? If so, he may be fine and suffering perhaps more from too dry of an environment. To really help we will need to know more details of how you have him setup. Temps, substrate, humudity levels, how your taking and where those temperatures, lights (what kind and on forhow long).The whole shabang on his care please.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Along with what Jacqui has asked for, I'd like to mention that sometimes when male tortoises discover their 'male parts,' they play with them a bit and make squeaking sounds at the same time. Have you ever actually SEEN him while he's making the sounds?