Sulcata tortoise needs home with complete setup

LaRue

I don't want anything for him (or her) just a good home. You need a very large area, and a complete winter setup. That's all I'm asking. I do not want him resold, take him if you want a pet only. I am posting a current picture, we are located in the new orleans area now.

LaRue

You are so right. I've tried endlessly to find a home close by, but so far the only ones interested have no idea how to care for him. He's a great pet, but he needs more. We have the space but not the time to take care of his winter needs now that he's too big to be inside comfortably.

LaRue

Ok I can not seem to post a picture tried resizing, but it just won't post. So if you are interested please contacted me with your email, and I'd be happy to send you a pic. Thanks.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You sound like you really care about him . You should keep him . If you build him a good heated box . All you have to do is put him in the door way a few times then he'll do it himself . The trick is to put it by the spot he likes to rest . When you cut your summer grass dry it and feed him that in winter . My big guys put themselves up and pretty much feed themselves . All I do is change water and check heaters. Pm me I'll give you my number and I'll help you make things easier so you can keep him . I promise you,you will not regret it .

LaRue

You sound like you really care about him . You should keep him . If you build him a good heated box . All you have to do is put him in the door way a few times then he'll do it himself . The trick is to put it by the spot he likes to rest . When you cut your summer grass dry it and feed him that in winter . My big guys put themselves up and pretty much feed themselves . All I do is change water and check heaters. Pm me I'll give you my number and I'll help you make things easier so you can keep him . I promise you,you will not regret it .
Yep, he's a great pet. But our setup is just no good for him. We were going to make a heater box for him last year and just got lost in all the different types and complexity. I still say his best option is a better home............... But if no one comes around, I might ask if you have any simple plans for a good heater box we could make. I did have one person asking to ship, but looking into that, it seems like that should be a last option too.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You are not that far away . You guy are more than welcome to come by the house and put eyes on my setups . It's really easy to build a night box . We can even build you one in a few hours .

LaRue

That's a very kind offer. Trust me that if we don't find him a good home. We will continue to tend to his needs. And get it done. Last year he still fit in our little setup. Now if any ones has a picture of what you would make for a good heat box in my warm climate. That could be helpful. As many times what I see is these insulated off the ground heat boxes with some type of mini heating system. And I think this is really for snow. Which we don't get, there maybe a few hours of freezing, but not days.

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
That's a very kind offer. Trust me that if we don't find him a good home. We will continue to tend to his needs. And get it done. Last year he still fit in our little setup. Now if any ones has a picture of what you would make for a good heat box in my warm climate. That could be helpful. As many times what I see is these insulated off the ground heat boxes with some type of mini heating system. And I think this is really for snow. Which we don't get, there maybe a few hours of freezing, but not days.
how big is he? sorry I can not take him, but thought you should mention the age and size, and do not worry about the shipping, if you find the right person for him, especially from the forum:) i had a bunch shipped to me - babies and adults - they do very well:)

LaRue

His shell is about 8" by 6". I think he's maybe 2 or 3 years old. But that's a guess.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
sounds about right, he can still be shipped at this size and be just fine:) as long as a loving home is at the end of that journey:) sulcatas are very great pets, they are so smart, like dogs:) I hope you will find him a nice home:) I have one and he is enough for me:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well I tried to post a picture of the box I just built but it will not let me . It's easy to build . I used 2/2 and 1/2 plywood. I built a four foot by four foot frame then covered it with plywood . I insulated it and plywooded the insides . You can also look on craigslist and find a big wooded dog house for cheap and insulated it . Add a thermostat and heater .

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX

Those boxes with the heaters are great night boxes, not just for snow. You need that insulation to block out heat in summer and the heater is on a thermostat so you can set the temp for winter, snow or not

VictoriaY

Florida
Too bad you are so far, i could make a great set up for him/her here in Florida! Giant fenced in yard, front and back. You ever want to visit Florida bring it along and I'll keep it!

LaRue

Well I tried to post a picture of the box I just built but it will not let me . It's easy to build . I used 2/2 and 1/2 plywood. I built a four foot by four foot frame then covered it with plywood . I insulated it and plywooded the insides . You can also look on craigslist and find a big wooded dog house for cheap and insulated it . Add a thermostat and heater .
I can't seem to post pictures either. My question is how does the inside look? What type of heating are you using? I read red lights are bad for their eyes, and also over head lights can burn their shells.

LaRue

Too bad you are so far, i could make a great set up for him/her here in Florida! Giant fenced in yard, front and back. You ever want to visit Florida bring it along and I'll keep it!
Well I'm just saying we are going to Disney World mid November. Except Hurricanes, Florida has got to have the best weather for a sulcata.

VictoriaY

Florida
Well I'm just saying we are going to Disney World mid November. Except Hurricanes, Florida has got to have the best weather for a sulcata.
We live about 3-4 hours away! If you still have him by then I'd love to talk to my husband about it.