Sulcata Tortoise Runny Nose

Molly&Snapper

I have two Sulcata tortoise that are about two years old.

One of them has had a runny nose [well what i think is a runny nose from little wet bubbles] on and off for about a year. It comes was very minor and always went away so I just continued to monitor him (I think it's a him). But recently it has become worse then small little bubbles. Its a continuous discharged throughout the entire day. I really hope it's not a respiratory infection or anything serious.

Other then the discharge "he" is doing well. Very active. Good appetite. "He" is growing much much faster then the other one and therefore I assumed that its a "he" and the other a "she".

Attachments

• 2016-07-20 21.04.09.jpg
    2016-07-20 21.04.09.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 2016-07-20 21.04.12.jpg
    2016-07-20 21.04.12.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30

jockma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles County
Very odd that it comes and goes like that...usually RIs require antibiotics to go away. Sometimes RI symptoms occur when the tort is stressed or there are irritants in the enclosure like dusty substrate. I think if it isn't an RI a constant stressor would be present in order for this issue to reoccur.

Do you keep them both in the same enclosure? Also, have you had fecal samples done to check them for parasites?

Molly&Snapper

Very odd that it comes and goes like that...usually RIs require antibiotics to go away. Sometimes RI symptoms occur when the tort is stressed or there are irritants in the enclosure like dusty substrate. I think if it isn't an RI a constant stressor would be present in order for this issue to reoccur.

Do you keep them both in the same enclosure? Also, have you had fecal samples done to check them for parasites?

They both live outdoors so dust shouldn't be an issue :)
Both tortoises do live together.
I had not had them tested for parasites :/

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Could be mycoplasma. Can be chronic and reoccuring. Vet visit will help to find out.

I also see pyramiding, which may mean less than ideal conditions. If mycoplasma are present, less than ideal conditions and the stress it creates would cause reoccurance of symptoms.