Sulcata Tortoise - Scratches or shell rot?

Michelle Nwa

Hi guys!

I see a lot of postings about shell rot but I'm still not clear if this is what is affecting my Sulcata Tortoise Dooley. She's been in and out of an enclosure that she's starting to outgrow. She's also been hiding under a lavender bush in our garden which produces a grayish dust. Does anyone have any incite on this? At first I thought her shell was getting scratched from the wire on the enclosure or getting residue from the lavender bush. I've tried soaks 1-2 times a week but it seems to be getting worse. Let me know what you guys think. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Hi guys!

I see a lot of postings about shell rot but I'm still not clear if this is what is affecting my Sulcata Tortoise Dooley. She's been in and out of an enclosure that she's starting to outgrow. She's also been hiding under a lavender bush in our garden which produces a grayish dust. Does anyone have any incite on this? At first I thought her shell was getting scratched from the wire on the enclosure or getting residue from the lavender bush. I've tried soaks 1-2 times a week but it seems to be getting worse. Let me know what you guys think. View attachment 92980 View attachment 92981 View attachment 92982 View attachment 92980 View attachment 92982
Try using an unused toothbrush to scrape it off. It may be lavender residue :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I'm not 100% but that looks like she is scraping on the top of the enclosure which will not come out with soaks that part of the shell is just gone....it looks like you need to get her in a bigger (taller) enclosure asap. That's really low.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From the size she looks in the pics compared to the enclosure, I say she needs a whole new larger enclosure. If the scratches or whatever it turns out to be seems to be spreading, use some anti fungus cream on and if it's a fungus and not scratches or residue,,that should clear it up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shell rot usually starts on the plastron because the tortoise is sitting in wet dirt. Hardly ever starts on the carapace. The appears to me to be abrasions.