Sulcata Tortoise Sick Help!

Sonny and Nacho

My baby Sulcata has been sick for five days and I have been giving him a baby food soak because he is not eating and is not active as much as my other baby sulcata. I just ran out of baby food yesterday and have been stuck in a winter storm. Can you use milk for his soak as a temporary substitute?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
That's a big NO! on the milk they don't process dairy. Are your tortoises being kept together?

Sonny and Nacho

Yes they are being kept together in the same enclosure, but they keep to their own spaces. My other one is healthy and active.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes they are being kept together in the same enclosure, but they keep to their own spaces. My other one is healthy and active.

I think once you research this site you will understand why you shouldn't keep them together and the reason they keep there own space. It's not recommended to keep them in pairs. Bullying is probably the major issue and they need separated immediately

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree 100% with the above comment

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What sort of baby food are you using?
I think you should separate them in case it is infectious.
Make sure your temps are high enough the sulcata caresheet will tell you all about that and more.
If you post pics of your enclosure, torts and lamps members can advise on whether there are any changes you could make in case your set up is the problem.
You may also want to read this about keeping pairs - torts don't like sharing their space.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby Sulcata has been sick for five days and I have been giving him a baby food soak because he is not eating and is not active as much as my other baby sulcata. I just ran out of baby food yesterday and have been stuck in a winter storm. Can you use milk for his soak as a temporary substitute?

First, welcome to the forum.

Second: We will need more info to help discover the cause of your problem and suggest a solution.

Living in pairs is highly stressful and not recommended. That could be the sole cause of your issue, or it might just be a contributing factor.

It is not normal for them to not eat. Something is wrong. Without correcting that problem, there is no way the tortoise will get better. With that in mind, can you tell us:
1. What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?
2. What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve and maintain those temps?
3. Any UV? Coil type? Tube? MVB?
4. Is it a closed chamber or open topped enclosure?
5. What is the typical humidity level?
6. What was the source of these babies and how were they started right after hatching? Wet routine or dry?

To answer your question, no, milk is not an acceptable substitute for carrot or yam baby food in the soak water.