Sulcata Tortoise, Whistling?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I see, I was wondering if the temperature would be too low for her. What would you suggest that I do for her in order to create this heated shelter? Sorry for the many questions, I am pretty concerned right now and I am new to this whole thing.

Also, do you really believe that her making sounds at night is really the start of an RI? I will try to get her to a vet ASAP, but I am not sure when I can just yet.

The sounds might be the start of a RI. Maybe not too.

If it is the early start of a RI then warming up the tortoise will usually stop and reverse it.

Read through these for some examples on what to do, and then come back with any and all questions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Abby7

5 Year Member
The sounds might be the start of a RI. Maybe not too.

If it is the early start of a RI then warming up the tortoise will usually stop and reverse it.

Read through these for some examples on what to do, and then come back with any and all questions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Thank you so much. Where do you suggest I get this equipment?

Last edited:

Abby7

5 Year Member
Hardware store is best for most stuff. Online for the rest.

Okay, thank you. One last question: Since the weather is a bit colder today than it normally is, should I be keeping her indoors, where it is warmer, rather than letting her roam around outdoors? Especially since she might have the beginnings to RI?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay, thank you. One last question: Since the weather is a bit colder today than it normally is, should I be keeping her indoors, where it is warmer, rather than letting her roam around outdoors? Especially since she might have the beginnings to RI?

If you have an indoor enclosure with a heat source and its not sunny down there right now, then yes, inside would be better.

If its sunny outside and she can warm up in the sun and you don't have indoor heat, then outside would be best.

If its cloudy outside and no heat inside, well, I think we found the problem. :)

This is a tropical species and they need warm temps year round, day and night.

Abby7

5 Year Member
If you have an indoor enclosure with a heat source and its not sunny down there right now, then yes, inside would be better.

If its sunny outside and she can warm up in the sun and you don't have indoor heat, then outside would be best.

If its cloudy outside and no heat inside, well, I think we found the problem. :)

This is a tropical species and they need warm temps year round, day and night.

No indoor heat source just yet, but it is definitely warmer indoors than it is outdoors at the moment!

Again, thank you so much for your help. I was really worried (I still am, but at least now I know what to do.)

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
There is a possibility that the whistling is no big deal. My adult female Burmese stars make whistling sounds all the time and are perfectly healthy. I might be concerned if there was open mouth breathing and nasal discharge. Doesn't sound like it. Upper respiratory infection is just like it sounds. Upper airway ( sinuses, nares, throat) Lower respiratory disease would be pneumonia. Upper can turn into pneumonia if ignored and there really is an issue. Me personally. Crank up the temp, soak regularly in warm water and see how it goes.

Abby7

5 Year Member
There is a possibility that the whistling is no big deal. My adult female Burmese stars make whistling sounds all the time and are perfectly healthy. I might be concerned if there was open mouth breathing and nasal discharge. Doesn't sound like it. Upper respiratory infection is just like it sounds. Upper airway ( sinuses, nares, throat) Lower respiratory disease would be pneumonia. Upper can turn into pneumonia if ignored and there really is an issue. Me personally. Crank up the temp, soak regularly in warm water and see how it goes.

There are definitely no signs other than the sounds; no mouth breathing and no nasal discharge at all. I will definitely keep an eye on her, but for the past 2 days that it has been happening, there aren't any other signs.

Okay! I will most definitely up the temperature and soak in warm water. By the way, if I do soak, how long should I soak her for?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Gosh, i was right!
Very much hope that this is correct and your tortoise is fine, Abby.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
@Tom Can a RI clear up on its own? Or pneumonia clear up on its own?

I ask cause Bogart still floats sideways but shows no other sides of sickness. I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Can a RI clear up on its own? Or pneumonia clear up on its own?

I ask cause Bogart still floats sideways but shows no other sides of sickness. I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet.

If caught early and the cause dealt with (its usually due to cold temps…), then I have seen it stopped and reversed. If its advanced enough, or already at the pneumonia stage, then no, it will not likely clear up on its own and the person will need the help of a good tortoise vet like our Deadheadvet.