Sulcata Tortoise

Lindajack

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, we have a 5 year old sulcata tortoise who is gorgeous and so so funny but yesterday he started rubbing both sides of his beak against the inside corner of his wooden shelter, maybe for about 10 minutes . Really weird, never seen him do this before and am worried he will hurt himself, any tips on what he's doing ????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never seen that sort of behavior, but hello and welcome.

What size is the gorgeous five year old, and what size is the enclosure? What are the enclosure temperatures?

Lindajack

UK
Hi, he is about 12 inches long and at the moment is outside most of the day as its so warm here in U.k. , the wooden shelter does not have a front, just somewhere for him to keep cool if he needs it. He walks in, straight to the corner and moves his head side to side rubbing his beak against the wood !!! Odd

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, has he caused a open wound? Does he try to rub the sides of his mouth with his front legs. The only time my sully uses his front legs or let's me wipe the sides of his mouth. Is when he is eating moist mazuri.
Can you see any abrasions or growth on the sides of the mouth?
In the morning when Opo is waking up. He will yawn numerous times. Either when your sully is yawning or maybe when you feed him by hand. When he opens his mouth try and inspect the inside of the mouth. Maybe if you post a good pic of his head. We can see if we notice anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've heard, but have no first hand knowledge,that turtles and tortoises rub their beaks on something rough to keep them trimmed and in shape.

Lindajack

UK
I've heard, but have no first hand knowledge,that turtles and tortoises rub their beaks on something rough to keep them trimmed and in shape.
That's what I wondered, he's eating as normal and no nose discharge etc and hasn't made it sore, so maybe just sharpening his beak to eat more of my plants 😉