sulcata tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianna2012

5 Year Member
hi im a newbie i live in miami fl and have a brand new baby tortoise im not sure what to name him(any ideas) plus can u explain how a healthy tortoise looks & acts like? thx julianna:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Julianna:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

A healthy tortoise is active and seems to take an interest in his surroundings. He has wide-open, bright eyes and a good appetite. You will usually see poop either every day, or every other day, and it will be firm and slightly moist.

Can we see pictures of your tortoise?

We have a thread devoted to naming tortoises:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Ideas-for-Pet-Tortoise-Names#axzz1zlXrm638

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Take some time and read the threads at the bottom of this post. They will help you in raising a happy, healthy, smooth sulcata.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Hi! I'm new here too, also with a sulcata that son's ex-GF left here more than 2 years ago. Now she wants him back, but after all this time I don't want to part with him. As for names, I call him Neenyo, which I am spelling phonetically because I don't know how to put the proper symbol over the second n for the actual spelling of Nino.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Julianna. I moved your question over to the health area for you.

julianna2012

5 Year Member
hi guys my tortoise is a lot more active in the afternoon than in the morning(he sleeps in the morning) is that normal? sometimes it looks like hes wiping his nose on his front leg is that okay

i know i know it might seem like im worrying to much but i just wanna be sure.

just in case hes sick i dont have any money to go to the vet ? im saving some though... advice?
thx
julianna

jpmorganwebb

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new on here, and not sure how to work this app yet honestly. I recently purchased a 10 year old sulcata tortoise. We named him Steve, well my three year old did. We love him. We live in Ok so it's very hot here. We have a large yard and have built a tortoise shade and mud pit plus musters for hottest part day... But I'm worried to not do everything right any suggestion or tips. He never drinks and refuses to soak I'm afraid hel dehydrate, also his poop is very brown with little grass, how much exactly and what is best food. He's currently eating mostly grass with few veggies. And is it normal for them to pass very loud gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.