Sulcata trying to dig indoors

Cody_MBD

So we recently adopted a very friendly and healthy 40 lb sulcata. I have noticed that he trys to "dig" in corners in the house. Is he trying to hide? Is this a comfort issue? He doesn't seem to be scared or stressed. He stays in an enclosure downstairs when not keeping us company.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
So we recently adopted a very friendly and healthy 40 lb sulcata. I have noticed that he trys to "dig" in corners in the house. Is he trying to hide? Is this a comfort issue? He doesn't seem to be scared or stressed. He stays in an enclosure downstairs when not keeping us company.

Man a lot of these folks will tell you better than I can for sure but Sulcatas are burrowers. Do you guys have an outdoor area he can utilize those skills? How big is his enclosure he's staying in if you don't mind me asking? He's probably just trying to figure out his new home too! Congratulations on your new addition to the family! Mine only weighs about an ounce!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Where are you located? How warm is his house, and how big is it? A 40 pound sulcata needs a lot of space. Is it possible to move him outside? I have a 100 pound sulcata. He tends to burrow only if the temperature isn't comfortable for him. This time of year he uses a heated box. He spends the nights there and will come out almost daily to graze as long as the temperatures get in the 50s. I think that he can handle the cool tempertures and still digest his food because he can warm up in his box.

It is really not a good idea to let a sulcata roam inside your house. Besides all the dangers, it is probably too cold on the floor.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should always be in his own proper enclosure, not roaming the house. Go to his proper enclosure when you want to visit, not him coming to yours. Like mentioned, they are diggers, they can dig big tunnels. It could be he wants to be covered, temps aren't right, or like my torts, leopards, that don't burrow, but will still dig into a corner, I think it's just to get in and tight as much as possible.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Digging into a corner is normal behavior for sulcata. Mine lives outside and has a heated night box that he goes into every night. He sometimes spends 10 minutes digging into a corner. It can be heard two houses away.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Our 30 lb sully digs down as well, into about 6 inches of moist, warm cypress mulch in his heated night box. Seems like these guys like to dig in, and keep digging in and down 'til they find a good comfy spot. I think your sully is trying to dig in and find a comfy spot.

Does your enclosure have a good substrate for digging and settling in?

Good luck!

Cody_MBD

So he is in a 4 x 15 foot indoor enclosure, he seems content. His substrate is grass hay which he seems content with. He doesn't dig or scratch in his pen or try to find a way out. When upstairs, we keep the house about 80 degrees.The first day he really seemed to enjoy exploring, sitting by the fireplace for a few minutes, and then exploring again. It's far to cold for an outside enclosure this time of year. Negative temps are not uncommon this time of year. I've seen as low as -20 in January

Cody_MBD

Where are you located? How warm is his house, and how big is it? A 40 pound sulcata needs a lot of space. Is it possible to move him outside? I have a 100 pound sulcata. He tends to burrow only if the temperature isn't comfortable for him. This time of year he uses a heated box. He spends the nights there and will come out almost daily to graze as long as the temperatures get in the 50s. I think that he can handle the cool tempertures and still digest his food because he can warm up in his box.

It is really not a good idea to let a sulcata roam inside your house. Besides all the dangers, it is probably too cold on the floor.

We are in North East Nevada where it commonly gets in the negative temps. Far to cold for an outside enclosure in the winter. He has a 4x15 foot enclosure he seems happy with. We keep the house almost uncomfortably warm when he is upstairs with us, about 80 degrees.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
We are in North East Nevada where it commonly gets in the negative temps. Far to cold for an outside enclosure in the winter. He has a 4x15 foot enclosure he seems happy with. We keep the house almost uncomfortably warm when he is upstairs with us, about 80 degrees.
I bet your thermostat is on the wall. If you don't have floor registers, it is probably cooler on the floor where your sulcata is. I know you are doing the best you can, but have you given any thought to what is going to happen when he is 100 pounds? My tort could barely turn around in a 4 foot wide area.

Cody_MBD

I bet your thermostat is on the wall. If you don't have floor registers, it is probably cooler on the floor where your sulcata is. I know you are doing the best you can, but have you given any thought to what is going to happen when he is 100 pounds? My tort could barely turn around in a 4 foot wide area.

Yes, I have thought about it. I have another room we are setting up. It's much larger, 15x20.

Martin Martinussen

Oure little one like his little hole to sleep in .
Digs a new every day if i cover it up when cleaning.

Attachments

• 20161204_193230.jpg
    20161204_193230.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Your tortoise is just about at the stage where he will start trying to make his way from place to place, even if there's a wall in the way. Sulcatas aren't meant to be indoor pets, believe me! Forget the larger room, & start setting up an outdoor "condo" with a heater & thermostat.

Ken