Sulcata vs Redfoot in Florida

DallasYoung

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Currently debating between one of the two for my backyard here in East Central Florida. I’d like to raise it (or rescue) until large enough to let roam my (100’x50’) fenced backyard. I was pretty set on a RedFoot until I saw that there is a tortoise rescue nearby that has a couple dinner plate sized Sulcatas available for adoption. What are the pros and cons of each in my climate? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a BIG difference between a sulcata and a RF. If you're interested in having a bulldozer in your yard, go for the sulcata. Sulcatas wear a path along the fenceline. They knock down your rose bushes (if the bushes happen to be in the path), they chip stucco off the house (if the path is next to the house), they sometimes dig holes to China, they poop BIG logs, they move your garden furniture and hoses, but on the other side of the coin, they are very personable, and a whole lot of fun to have in your back yard. The sulcata needs a BIG open, sunny space with lots of grass. In a space that's too small he'll soon eat the grass down to the roots, killing it off.

A RF tortoise requires an overplanted space with humidity and moisture. He can also become mighty personable, but without all the bad habits of a sulcata. They don't dig, they don't wear a path marching along the perimeter. They don't get as big.

Both species do well in Florida, so it's just a matter of which peaks your interest.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sounds like you may already have kind of, sort of, decided. But not both in the same space. Not recommended.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Redfoots do great in Florida. It's similar to their native habitat