Sulcata weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

savanna

5 Year Member
just want to know how much a 3 year old sulcata should weigh?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: hi

*wipes the sweat off my forehead* It worked! I took the liberty of moving your question (thread) here to the sulcata section, where it might better be answered. It was my first thread moved and I was sorta worried I might end up deleting your posts. Glad to see it moved well and I hope moving it was okay with you. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
His/her weight would depend on the size of your sulcata and not the age. What is his/her SCL (straight carapace length)?

You did a great job Jacqui :D I just tweeked the thread title for you :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary: Tortoises all grow at different rates, just like people do. If you pick your tortoise up and it feels like you are holding a rock of the same size, then your tortoise's weight is probably good for his size. If you pick him up and it feels like a shell full of air, he is underweight.

Can we see a picture of your sulcata? We LOVE pictures!!

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
My Ralph is roughly 15 pounds. He's 4 yrs 4mos, a little over 12 inches in length, about 9 inches tall, about 8-9 inches wide.

He feels MUCH heavier than 15 pounds, though.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...someone posted this formula for figuring how much a tortoise should weigh: (Length in cm x width in cm x height in cm) x .57 =
weight in grams
Patsy

savanna

5 Year Member
My tortoise goes to the vet tomorrow just for a check up we will tell you then how much she weighs. I think 10-12 pounds. Hopefully she is the correct weight for her size and everything else is ok she hasn't been to the vet since she was 3 months old. How often does anyone else take there tort?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I don't think that formula will work for all tortoises Patsy. The formulas I have seen are for Testudo only and just for Hermanns, Greeks, Marginated and Russians in particular.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

When I rehomed Tony he was 4 years and 14 pounds...

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
My sulcata is just under 5 years old and has a scl of 15 inches and she is 23 pounds.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Ralph is 15 pounds 3 oz. I took this pic on 3.19, so he is 4 yrs 5 mos in the picture. I put the tennis ball there to give a size comparison.

31909RALPH2-1.jpg

31909RALPH1-1.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

It looks like he has the bump nose like Bob. I haven't seen any other Sulcata with that smoosched up nose. Do you have a close up of his face?

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Here ya go, here's some close ups of Ralph! I woke him up in his dogloo. He was a little ticked off.

32109Ralph1-1.jpg

32109Ralph2-1.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Awesome!!! Great camera and beautiful tort face!!! Not all Sulcata have a bumpy smooshed up nose like Bob and Ralph do...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.