Sulcata won’t burrow despite cold temperatures

andrew7433

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Hi all. This is my first post as I have a question I just can’t find the answer for online. I have a 2.5 year old sulcata tortoise who isn’t burrowing despite the hot and cold weather in Phoenix. We have a large patio she uses to get 100% out of the sun in the summer but it’s now getting very cold (mid 30s) and she still hasn’t burrowed. We had been told to keep her inside when the temps got below 60 degrees until she was 2 years old so this is her first winter outside. I even built her a long and deep (6’) burrow this summer but she refuses to go into it. We have a huge yard with lots of trees and dirt but she hasn’t dug her own. I’ve taken her inside at night due to the low temperatures. I’m not sure what to do and hope to find some answers here. Thanks in advance!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings..

Browse through the Sulcata section, but I’m thinking you need to get handy and construct urself a nice heated night box. One where he will learn to move in to at night for security and warmth. I’m sure night time temps in Phoenix are way too cold for your Sully to be outside without a proper heated night house.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/page-7

A quick look at your overnight lows only shows mid 30’s. Good that you are bringing him in.

Good luck happy torting happy new year’s eve.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Burrows are only good for summer. It is too cold in AZ in winter to allow them to go underground and burrow, even though many people there do it and the tortoise somehow survive. This is a tropical species. They need it warm year round. My climate is similar to yours. I let them burrow during the hot summer months, and then in fall I block off their burrows and make them start using their heated night boxes until it gets hot again in late spring.

Your tortoise is likely to die if you don't remedy this situation immediately. They do not burrow in cold weather like a desert tortoise might, because there is no "cold" weather where they come from.

In addition to the above linked night box thread, here is another one that might suit a single tortoise better:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

Your tortoise needs 80-85 degree nights RIGHT NOW. Tonight. Don't wait. It might already be too late...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, that's GREAT!!!!! I don't want my tortoises to burrow. Instead, I've provided them with a comfortable night house (in my case, a shed) where they go every night and I close the door so they can't get out. The night house has heat for winter and is in the shade so it's cool in the summer. My tortoises don't feel the need to burrow because I've provided them with what they need without burrowing.