Sulcata won't eat! Shell getting softer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torter

5 Year Member
Hello,
I'm the proud owner of 2 Sulcatas, but my younger one just recently stopped eating, nothing has changed environment wise, I've got both basking and UVB fluorescent lights, hot spot of 90 air temp with a heat pad underneath in the corner and a cold side of right around 80. Humidity floats between 40 and 50%. When I take him out of the tank he's wide awake, but spends most of the time sleeping when he's inside. He doesn't eat either way anymore, not even after his daily soaking. His shell is getting softer and I'm starting to worry.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome

How large are they? Are they kept together? Its possible one is bullying that one (in the visible physical way and/or mentally in terms of dominance /territory). If they are kept together you would be advised to separate them so that they can't see each other (separate enclosures).

A vet check is always good too...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
thats not good.. he needs sunshine. Can you get liquid bird vitamins and liquid calcium for his soaks?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like already said. If they are together, get them sperated. Keep the sick one warm. Try warm soaks in baby food purred carrots. Can you get him out in the sun. Don't let him over heat, but the sun may help. Others will be along to give more advice. Good luck, hope all turns out good. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They may help you tweak your set up and explain some things.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
vet visit ASAP
Separate them, soak for now in baby food and bird vitamins, liquid calcium I am pretty sure needs a precip. for. You tortoise is very sick, and the sooner he goes and sees a vet the better, preferably a tortoise vet.

M

Maggie Cummings

You've gotten some great advice and I hope you will use it. He needs a Vet ASAP. Something like this could kill a small tort and it sounds to me like bullying. I'd do the babyfood soaks, I have done that before and I know it works. Put 1/2 jar of carrots in a small container with just enough water to meet the bridge. So you're gonna soak in carrots, Bird vitamins in the soaking water and most importantly separate. Yes, there is bullying going on in the chelonia world and if you wait to long to do what's been suggested your tort could die...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old are they?
How long have you had them?
How were they housed before you got them?
What sort of UV bulb are you using?

Torter

5 Year Member
I noticed today the little one's (Ostes) nostrils were blocked, I soaked him and broke it loose with saline, separated them and now he's eating like a champ again!

Torter

5 Year Member
Should I keep them separated at all times, or only during feedings? They were both penned up together at the store, I don't know if that has any significance now or not. I have no idea how old they are either. Ostes is about 3 1/2 inches long and colossus is closer to 5 inches long. And Tom I've got the Zilla UVB fluorescent light, and a zoo-med daylight blue heat bulb. And I took Ostes to the vet today to see what he would say, he gave him a calcium shot, and a supplement to feed him through a syringe.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am happy to hear you got the nostrils opened up...that would make a difference for certain....

I would also be sure that you get that little tort out in the sunshine for at least an hour each day (or as often as you can, even longer than an hour if you can).

I also would plan to maintain them in two separate equal enclosures....for their own good and safety. Pairs are a really hard thing to achieve with harmony for the torts involved....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad things are looking better. Yes, house them separately forever. Torts usually are better alone or in a herd type setting. Like ascott said, get[/i] them outside when ever temps permit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Torter said:
Should I keep them separated at all times, or only during feedings? They were both penned up together at the store, I don't know if that has any significance now or not. I have no idea how old they are either. Ostes is about 3 1/2 inches long and colossus is closer to 5 inches long. And Tom I've got the Zilla UVB fluorescent light, and a zoo-med daylight blue heat bulb. And I took Ostes to the vet today to see what he would say, he gave him a calcium shot, and a supplement to feed him through a syringe.

If your zilla bulb is the coil type cfl bulb, it could be the source of your problem.

The blue bulb isn't a good idea either. Tortoises have very good eyesight and colored bulbs make things look strange to them. You should swap that out for a regular incandescent household flood bulb.

I would keep them in separate enclosure until you get this thing worked out, if not permanently. Sulcatas are no good in pairs. They need to be kept singly or in groups, not pairs. And move the healthy one, not the sickie. Moving can be stressful and the sick one does not need any more stress.

Torter

5 Year Member
Alright I'll swap out the blue bulb, thank you everyone for the help! I've really been stressing over him being sick. Im glad it was as easy as just separating them =) he's leveled everything I've put in front of him to eat since

Status
Not open for further replies.