Sulcata wont sleep in his house

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi somehow tonight one of my sullies don't want to sleep in his house, he slept outside his house then I put it inside his house and one hour later he wasn't in his house again.
Why is that? what's going on that never happened before they always slept together. thanks for your help

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Oh oh, I think one of your sullies may be bullying the other. Most likely, the one going outside is somehow not feeling safe or comfortable to remain in the house. Sometimes you can't see bullying, but there are subtle hints, like one just doesn't want to compete for the best spot to sleep, or doesn't like that the other is dominating the other for heat, comfort, food, etc. You may have to separate them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You know when we all say tortoises shouldn't be kept in pairs? This is why. Time to separate them.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you do have 2 males, then one may be harassing the other when he tries to stay in the house.
You can't always see the behavior, unless you are watching them 24/7.

If this continues, you would want to seriously consider this, and separate enclosures.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Its so wired because the much larger one is the one being outside, there wad no bulling yet, ...
Are there any other sighns then bulling?

I will monitor them tomorrow

let me ask you something else I sprayed the yard 3 days ago with bug killer,
it rained heavy for 2 days after , then they ate the grass. is it possible that he is sick? and if so how could I find out

if it happens tomorrow again I will separate them

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OMG, never spray insecticide where the animals are grazing. Even if it rained for two days, some of that stuff is still on the grass! Why did you spray? If there are fire ants, there are home remedies that you can use that will not poison your animals like corn meal. You put large granules down, the ants eat it and bring it back to the nest, and because they can't digest it, they all die.

I don't think that's the reason why one leaves the house. No, it has to do with one dominating the other. The bigger one isn't necessarily gonna be the aggressor. Females are often larger than males. You may have one male and one female. The problem will still exist. Just watch them especially when you feed them or when you see they want to retire. If one is pushing the other out of the way, or overpowering the other for food, then you'll know.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
thank you I'm so sorry I didn't know about the insect killer, it was up mosquito killer .there are so bad hete in south fl. I wont do it again. When i fed them today there wsd no sighns...i will watch them tomorrow .

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make a second house.. see if its used... is the house heated? maybe he doesn't like it.. but probably a bully thing...

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I put a secound house up last night,he went in there, and it wad fine. No heater its hot here, i had to put the secound house up anyway since they got soooo big, and the house stayed small lol. Sofar everything looks good, i keep u posted, thanks for ur help!

J REED

5 Year Member
Mine sleeps in his special corner...not his hide...

Jeremy

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Mine always in the house... Thank god he went in the other house...because it started to rain

ainfalt

5 Year Member
Sometimes mine will go in his house & other times he will get up real close to a wall or in a corner. Anyone know why they like to get in corners? I've heard it from others before. Do they feel secure like that?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
yes I guess they feel more protected.
today is my sullie went back in his house together with the other one

Status
Not open for further replies.