Sulcata x redfoot hybrid

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
let me just start by saying NOT MINE NOR DO I CONDONE THIS my view on the subject is leave them pure

scrolling around earlier on facebook and this was posted on a redfoot page someone claiming it to be a sulcata redfood hybrid i just thought i'd show everyone here, i've seen sulcata leopard hybrids even 1 rare sulcata star hybrid but this is a first.

i'm not even sure i can wrap my head around this it being two vastly different species....

sulcata x redfoot.jpg sulcataxredfoot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That fellow is just weird to look at. Defiantly not a normal Red foot. Would have been awesome if it had better care growing up.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
That fellow is just weird to look at. Defiantly not a normal Red foot. Would have been awesome if it had better care growing up.

yeah i think it's kinda ugly to be honest lol the head almost looks burned i just wanted to show people here i know hybrids are a touchy subject but i don't think many have seen a sulcataxlredfoot

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
thats the ugliest red foot i ever see...im pretty sure its not hybrid. that head shape is a typical red foot if you ignore the colors.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I am skeptical to say the least .
t2107.gif

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The skin color and forehead do look a bit like a sully to me.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is exactly what it is described as. A carbonaria X sulcata.

That is the least pretty one I have seen, though. Probably due to the environment it was raised in and perhaps its environment now.

The two I know of stateside are quite attractive, are doing very well, and are owned by a great keeper (the breeder). Their heads, limbs, and skin are as nice as that of pardalis X carbonaria hybrids. The shell is a dead heat between the two parent species involved. There are very few of these "redcatas". Even fewer than the very few "leofoots" that exist. I would like to be able to observe some of my own someday. Doing so with leofoots has been an enjoyable experience.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Love hybrids (I'm a genetics guy). Are there pics around of others?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It is exactly what it is described as. A carbonaria X sulcata.

That is the least pretty one I have seen, though. Probably due to the environment it was raised in and perhaps its environment now.

The two I know of stateside are quite attractive, are doing very well, and are owned by a great keeper (the breeder). Their heads, limbs, and skin are as nice as that of pardalis X carbonaria hybrids. The shell is a dead heat between the two parent species involved. There are very few of these "redcatas". Even fewer than the very few "leofoots" that exist. I would like to be able to observe some of my own someday. Doing so with leofoots has been an enjoyable experience.

Baoh in the ones you know of, which species is the female? (Asking about all the different combos)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Love hybrids (I'm a genetics guy). Are there pics around of others?

The public posting has been minimal. Some folks are not keen on negative attention despite the generally positive attention involved.

Baoh in the ones you know of, which species is the female? (Asking about all the different combos)

For all redcatas that I know of personally where I have interacted with the breeder(s), the redfoots were the sires and the sulcatas were the dams.

For all leofoots that I know of, the leopards were the sires and the redfoots were the dams.

For leopcatas, they have been produced from both leopard male x sulcata female and sulcata male x leopard female pairings.

The only real differences in the pairings are two-fold. 1) The mitochondrial lineage will depend on the dam. This means nothing regarding appearance or health. Just ancestry tracking if one wanted to bother using mitochondrial DNA. 2) Shots on goal. A redfoot lays a far smaller number of eggs per season (on average) than a sulcata does. It follows that redfoot male x sulcata female would give one more shots on goal than sulcata male x redfoot female. As shown with the leofoots, though, sometimes the long shots work out. Viability of the eggs vary a great deal. A female could produce a bunch of hybrids one season and never again, some over several seasons, never produce any in the first place, or produce a scant few with a ton of eggs that go nowhere. Depends on the female and whole lot of luck. The hybrids which do hatch are generally pretty robust little things. Defect rates are comparable to single-species pairings. Personalities/temperaments run the range as with any species.

I think I disabled the @ stuff, by the way.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Baoh,

I get the negative attention. Some think hybrids interfere with nature or "conservation". Or some weird notion they are ruining the gene pool. That of course puts it underground and into the darkness where it is easier to fool people in some pet circles.

In any case, I would love to see even private photos, I would of course keep anyone's pics in the strictest of confidence.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'd love to see photos too, if the breeders would allow you to share (even if they wish their names left out).