Sulcata yearling not eating well

Jenalarivera

Location (City and/or State)
River Falls, WI
We have a Sulcata that is just 1 year. In a big enclosure. Hot side is 100 and cool side is 78. We use a ceramic heat bulb at night. Humidity is lower than it should be, but we have ordered something to pump in humidity. We fed spring mix for the first year, and a month ago we introduced the Mazuri pellets. He ate them and had a big growth spurt and was pooping like crazy. About a week ago he stopped eating. Not spring mix, Mazuri, nothing. Two days ago I plopped him in his food bowl and he ate some - half of normal. He weighs 100g. Trying to figure out if we need to take him in. Soaked a good long soak tonight (and will repeat tomorrow) and he passed urine and some serious gas. He was really bearing down to get it out. Advice welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jenalarivera

River Falls, WI
Thank you SO MUCH! There are so many sites that say so many things. We thought we were doing things correctly. So One other question. What should we have the humidity at? I’ve read everything from 30% to 80 %.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Thank you SO MUCH! There are so many sites that say so many things. We thought we were doing things correctly. So One other question. What should we have the humidity at? I’ve read everything from 30% to 80 %.
Humidity should be 80 % or higher. The only way to achieve this is with a closed chamber or enclosure.

vetbridge

Our sulcata was 100 grams at 11 months of age and seemed smaller than others his age. He's gone through a growth spurt and one year later (about 2 years of age) he is 500 grams. I still soak him daily (he loves it) and he defecates during his soak, which makes it easy to keep his environment clean.