1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Sulcata, Yellowfoot, Leopard, Russian Tortoises PA Rehoming

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by hwmilkman, Dec 10, 2018.

1. hwmilkman

hwmilkman New Member

I am looking to re home my 8 tortoises. I have had some of them for over 18 years now. I really wish I didn't have to find them a new home, but I have less and less time to take care of them properly. My parents are getting older and I spend most of my time taking take of them and the house. During the winter I have to keep the tortoises in the basement, and they are all cramped up with little space to enjoy life. I would love to see them go to a warmer climate where they can enjoy the outdoors most of the year. There are four Sulcatas(16", 14", 13", 8"), two male for sure, and two female, one for sure, but the other is too small to tell. There are two Yellowfoot(12-13"), one male, one female. A female russian torotoise(6") and a male leopard tortoise(8"). I am about an hour north of Philadelphia. I have recent pictures of them as well just not sure how to post them on here.
    k3ndrea likes this.
  2. macky2002

macky2002 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Cyclone Pa
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    When you say north of Philadelphia where is I live in Smethport Pa are you going further away from me
  3. cosueloly

cosueloly New Member

Novato, CA
  4. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I can take the Russian tort if your willing to ship her . She will enjoy the other 6 Russians and the AZ weather .
  5. hwmilkman

hwmilkman New Member

Thanks everyone for the interest, I think I am going to have to wait until warmer weather to try this again. I don't know how they could be shipped when it is so cold.
  6. JAStort

JAStort New Member

Albuquerque
    Are you willing to ship? I live in New Mexico and the climate here is very good for them. I have a large backyard enclosed by concrete block walls and plenty of room to roam. The tortoises have an 8 x 12 building with heat and humidity when they need to be inside. Mine are now inside my house for the winter but can go out on sunny days. I would like a small female if you have one, although I have no interest in breeding if that is a concern. Either a 13 or 14 inch would be wonderful.
  7. Mauiwowie

Mauiwowie New Member

HI
    Im in hawaii and have a great home for torts. I could take a sulcata or two!
  8. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

With a hand warmer in the box.
    Elisa likes this.
  9. redline

redline New Member

NJ
    Hi,
    In NJ and my family and I would love to give a home to a pair of sulcatas.
  10. Igwend

Igwend New Member

Poconos, pa
    Happy new year! we live in the poconos in pa, probably not very far from you . We have 130 acres of new growth forest, 3 acres of which are cleared for a grassy front and back yard (so the tortoises have plenty of space to graze). We don’t spray our property with any pesticides, fungasides, weed killers or anything else chemical so it’s also safe for them. They have a cabin during the warm months and a dedicated heated 3 car garage during the winter months. Plus they roam around inside our house year round. We would love to adopt your sulcata tortoises and your Russian tortoise. We are a homeschooling family that will give them much love care and attention
    Ray--Opo and vladimir like this.
  11. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    I also live in the poconos. Like 30 mins from scranton.
    Your place sounds nice. I've been wanting to build up my property to keep my tortoise outside in the warmer months. Big plans for spring time. Always nice to see "locals " on here. I dont feel so alone.
    Ray--Opo and vladimir like this.
  12. TriciaStringer

TriciaStringer Well-Known Member

Louisiana
    Your property sounds awesome! Just a little suggestion, don’t let them roam in your house. It’s too cold on the floor and they could eat something dangerous or just get hurt. Keep them in their own designated enclosures.

I want to see pics of the cabin they get to use and the three car garage. Please start a thread to show us your tortoises, if you already have some. I’d love to see them.
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  13. k3ndrea

k3ndrea New Member 5 Year Member

Dingmans Ferry, Pa
    9732146666 I think we are local to each other I'm interested in the yellow foots or the leopard please text me and we can talk
  14. k3ndrea

k3ndrea New Member 5 Year Member

Dingmans Ferry, Pa
    How about local pick up?
  15. Lenapalm

Lenapalm New Member

Port Saint Lucie
    Hi, I had russian tortoise for many ears back when I was living in Ukraine. I just started to look for a tortoise here. We live in Florida. I'll be happy to take care of 2 Yellowfoots, or russian, or leopard tortoise. We have 2 acres and I have fenced area which I guess will be perfect for torts.
  16. homeless

homeless New Member

Hi Milkman,

I have a leopard about 8" and have always wanted a companion for Chico. Unfortunately I am in Hartsdale NY and wouldn't be able to provide year round outside living I know you want for your torts. I added a link for herpetology rescues and groups, http://www.tortoise.com/turtle-rescue-centers-in-usa.html , maybe by reaching out to some groups and rescues you might find some additional outlets who can provide the proper care and experience.