Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tortoise Mommy

Hello, im a Tortoise mommy, looking to chat with other Sulcata owners. Great idea having a tortoise forum. Hope to hear from you soon.

F

firewoman73

Hi tortoise mommy! I also have a Sulcata. Mine is a 4 month old baby. Heres a picture of her sleeping the day I brought her home. She was about 9 weeks in the picture.

F

firewoman73

Its not letting me put a picture of "her" up Ill try again later.

B

Bansh88

I'll post pics of all my boys. I just need to get them on Photobucket. thats the easiest way to post pics

R

Rockysmom

RE: Sulcata

I have a 3 yo Sulcata named Rocky... not sure yet if he is a Rocky or a Raquel... But Im glad we have this site. It will be great to be able to discuss and share with other sulcata owners. As soon as I figure out the photo deal I will post some:)

T

TheSlowskis

jet_640x480.jpgdozer_640x480.jpgI have 2 rescue torts, both boys, approximately 15-20 years old. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to help the grass recover in their pen. We have an area for them that is approximately 35' x 16'. They are bulldozers and are constantly renovating. If we increase the size of the enclosure, will that help it recover? How much larger should we make it? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! "The Slowskis"

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pouncethecat2002

TheSlowskis said:
I have 2 rescue torts, both boys, approximately 15-20 years old. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to help the grass recover in their pen. We have an area for them that is approximately 35' x 16'. They are bulldozers and are constantly renovating. If we increase the size of the enclosure, will that help it recover? How much larger should we make it? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! "The Slowskis"
Well i have a moveble pen for mine,and they say at least an acre per sulcata when they get bigger,i have two acres here for mine,but there not that big yet!,can you move your pen around in another area of your yard,so your grass can recoop?.

Z

zokie76

I live in Albuququerque.I have 3 sulcata's godzokie he's 9 yrs and zorac and multar are 8 yrs old. I have 1 ornate he's 10 yrs and i have 1 russian/red foot she's 25 yrs old. I will let the turtle and tortise society know about this.

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
My two year old Toy...it is a male! LOL
Jacuzzipond024.jpg

And my rescue Rocky, another male, vet estimate he's around 8 years old.
Rockysshell003.jpg

hulbertzoo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is so great to talk with other Sulcata lovers. I have a guy who's approx. 3yrs old and his name is Big Mac! These guys are so cool! Such personality! As far as the pen recoperating, I agree, if you can just move it. We have a huge fenced in yard and Mac has free run of it but in the winter he's stuck in the house. Oh by the way, does anyone know of a rescue tortoise place in Michigan? I would really like to help another one of these guys .

M

manebarnbrat67

Hi, I have a 14 yr old Sulcata named Percy (female) . We have had her since she was 6 months. She had a sister, Butsadly we lost her to a respitory infection two yrs ago. We are looking for one to rescue to keep her company. She is a character for sure. We give her free run of the yard so she does not over eat the grass.
We recently were given a Golden foot tortoise by a guy who could not keep him and we like him a whole lot. Though Percy sure does dwarf him LOL!

Does anyone elses Sulcata try to eat the cat food? We got adopted by a stray kitte and its mama and we put a mix of dry and wet cat food out for them. Then we caught Percy eating it! Will it hurt her? we took it away, but my son forgot to put it on the table for the cats and she ate it again!

S

squirtle

I read on a few sites that cat and dog food are very bad, and should never be given to tortoises. But then my vet, who specializes in exotic pets and has 3 older Sulcatas, says don't give them any, but don't stress if they get some. It is funny how much differing information is out there. But mine does the same thing....I will find him tipped into the cat bowl crunching away on the dry food. I have a killer picture of the cat and the tortoise eating side by side. But I do try to keep him away from the dog and cat food. Now I have the cat food up on the counter. Knowing my tortoise, I will come home one day and he will have rigged a catapult....

B

Bansh88

Tortoises should never have protein. Cat/dog food can make your tortoise look like the picture on page 1.
As far as grass in the pen? It will turn to dirt and never grow back as long as they are in there. the best thing to do is keep grassy areas off limits excpet for feeding times. i have my backyard broken up this way.

Tiffany

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Cat food also has something in it that kills the tortoises livers. As well as any other reptile. I will look for the article. If the vet says it's fine you may want to check into another vet. No damage seen now but in a few years they die, or get sick because their liver can't function the way it should.

We had an iguana that was fed small amounts of cat food and he was fine until about 5 years old, then he did nothing but lay around because he was in so much pain. He died from liver failure at the age of 6 years and he should have lived another 20-30 years.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
IM a sully lover, just cant keep a sully for years to come! theyre too big.
I only have enough room for 3 hermanns and 1 horsefield lol.
^^ lovely pics guys

T

Tortoise Mommy

Hi, How old is you sulcata? Whats his/her name?

Tortoise Mommy said:

Hello, im a Tortoise mommy, looking to chat with other Sulcata owners. Great idea having a tortoise forum. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tegan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hill Country, TX
Hello to all, I am new here as well. I am new to tortoises as pets but have always had turtles. Tortoise are so much better as far a personallity. I love my sulcata babies. They are still a little timmid and shy but seem to be comming around. I just found this site in a post to craigslist and it seems to be awsome. It's nice to know that there is a place i can go to ask questions and get opinions from other people who love there shelled babies as much as i do. I can't wait to get home and spend a litte more time checking out the site and post pics of the babies and the awsome habitat that we built for the hingback last month......

T

Tortoise Mommy

Hi Brat LOL
I am still learning alot about torts, but i do no that cat and dog food is very bad for them. My tort before i got him was fed dog food as his primary diet. She said (because he loved it) well dog & cat food has alot of protien in it. Sulcatas do not need protien. Thier diet is mostly fiber. When i had taken my tort to the vet he said my tort was malnurished and may shorten his life span. One or two pcs will not hurt them if the happen to be foraging and they find it. Just please becareful. Even fruits are not a good idea, however they can have small amounts once in a while.
I hope this helped.

manebarnbrat67 said:
Hi, I have a 14 yr old Sulcata named Percy (female) . We have had her since she was 6 months. She had a sister, Butsadly we lost her to a respitory infection two yrs ago. We are looking for one to rescue to keep her company. She is a character for sure. We give her free run of the yard so she does not over eat the grass.
We recently were given a Golden foot tortoise by a guy who could not keep him and we like him a whole lot. Though Percy sure does dwarf him LOL!

Does anyone elses Sulcata try to eat the cat food? We got adopted by a stray kitte and its mama and we put a mix of dry and wet cat food out for them. Then we caught Percy eating it! Will it hurt her? we took it away, but my son forgot to put it on the table for the cats and she ate it again!

T

Tortoise Mommy

Hello Tegan, Love to see pics of your babies.

Tegan said:
Hello to all, I am new here as well. I am new to tortoises as pets but have always had turtles. Tortoise are so much better as far a personallity. I love my sulcata babies. They are still a little timmid and shy but seem to be comming around. I just found this site in a post to craigslist and it seems to be awsome. It's nice to know that there is a place i can go to ask questions and get opinions from other people who love there shelled babies as much as i do. I can't wait to get home and spend a litte more time checking out the site and post pics of the babies and the awsome habitat that we built for the hingback last month......

Tegan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hill Country, TX
I can't wait to get some pics of my babies on here eather. They are sooooo cute and need to be showed off a little. lol..... I haven't gotten there new baby pics toghter yet. I did get the cutest video of them on my phone, they were fighting over a flower petal. I feel like such the big dork, but how can you not love those little faces looking at you!

Tortoise Mommy said:
Hello Tegan, Love to see pics of your babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.