Sulcatas at the Potter Park Zoo

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I visited the Lansing zoo recently and was amazed that the sulcatas were out and about! The day was hot and humid; no need for a heat lamp. They have a fairly reasonable amount of space for stretching their legs here in Michigan. On "warmer" days in the winter when these guys are inside, I've seen cavies (mara) in this enclosure. You can easily see the plants they can't mow down. I'm not really sure why they can't access that center area. As far as I could see into the enclosure, there was no divider between the two tortoises, but it's quite dark under that awning.

IMG_20220805_125111699_w.jpg

IMG_20220805_125426946_w.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They look pretty big. It's good to see such a nice big space with lots of greenery for them to graze on.

OliveW

Branford, FL
Sweet. 🥰

It looks like they have the center area to keep them separate. They would probably be naughty and try to fight through just one layer of posts. Zooming in on the pic, it looks like there are walls within that keep them apart.

Even their info sign says how territorial they are, so I doubt they would all them access to each other. :)