Sulcatas face and jaw clicking noise??

Bkelly

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
okay so I have a question. Maybe two actually. My one sulcata his face looks a little dry. Kind of on top of his eyes they seemed cracked in a way? When i put water on them it seems a bit better? What could be the cause of this? I soak him every day he always has access to fresh water. Any thoughts? And 2. He makes a clicking knows with his jaw sometimes. When he eats but after when he is almost done chewing its like a tiny little click or it seems like he is grinding is jaw together. Thats the best way to describe it. Anyone have any idea what that means either?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

The clicking is normal. Some do it, some don't.

As for the skin above the eyes...it's probably because his environment is too dry. Do you have a gauge that you can read the humidity in the habitat?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Also people here have notice that the coil bulbs are blinding some torts. if you are using one I would get rid of it. That bowl that you are using is a flipping hazard, by the way. If you use a substrate that you can bury a terra cotta planter pot up to the rim in it's easier for the babies to get in and out. I use them for my food and water. We love pictures here.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
He's too dry. I would switch out that reptile carpet with a natural substrate like coconut coir or cypress mulch, then bump the humidity to 80%.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco