Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've talked on the phone three times with different people in the same family. One of their family members purchased two "female" sulcata hatchlings 10 years ago from a breeder here in Fresno. And then, more recently, was given a smaller sulcata. The family moved from Fresno and in the meantime in getting settled in their new house, took the sulcatas up to the Bay Area to be cared for by a different family member.

My latest phone call was about them bringing me the three sulcatas this coming Wednesday.

I haven't seen the tortoises yet, but I understand the two "females" are appx. 30lbs and the smaller one is around 10lbs.

If any of you is within driving distance to Clovis, CA, and are interested in a sulcata, please give me a call at 559 298-7114

When I get the tortoises I'll put up pictures.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
RE: I might be getting 3 sulcatas

I can't wait until you post pictures on Wednesday Yvonne. I was telling my oldest son (in from Chicago for winter break) about your adoptions and that one day it might be cool to rescue a Sulcata and he thinks I'm nuts. He thinks I'm whacked out on tortoises now since he's been away at college for the last year and a half. My other son Noah thinks it would be a good idea. Maybe someday. :p:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is Anita. She weighs 27lbs and is 5 years old:

RescueAnita-2.jpg

RescueAnita-1.jpg

And this is Irene. She weighs 17lbs and is Anita's sister, same clutch:

RescueIrene-1.jpg

RescueIrene-2.jpg

Two years ago the fellow who brought these tortoises to me found this tortoise. This is Bob, sex unknown. He weighs 5lbs and is appx. 4 years old:

Rescue-Bob.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I sure wish I had the luck to adopt FEMALES a few years ago.. I built a great area with the Thought that a great need was needed and silly me figured male/fem and not ONLY MALES! were in great need. So Im stuck now with four males, two pens so far, but may need four in the future.. it ads up. $$ especially in the winter!
I should have gone with Desert torts so they sleep all winter.. oh well I like BIG!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Yvonne they're very nice looking Sulcatas. Do you already have places for them or do you have to buy extra pig blankets when you get new ones in like these? Do they all stay together or do you have to separate them? Is it hard to find homes for these or not?

M

Maggie Cummings

RE: I might be getting 3 sulcatas

spikethebest said:
a 10 year old sulcata that weighs only 30 lbs? i see something wrong here...

Me too. I was just gonna say that but you beat me to it. Bob is 10 yrs and 80 pounds...but they're not as pyramided as one would expect...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had to do some rearranging, but I had everything I needed. The two larger tortoises are in the space where I was keeping some very young desert tortoises. This space has access to the back yard, but was blocked off. So I moved the desert tortoises, unblocked the entrance, sanitized the house and pig blanket and put them in there. I have to keep them far away from Dudley because if he smells another sulcata on his property he rams the fence. So these guys will be in the back yard and hopefully he'll never know they're here!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I guess the sisters have always lived together Yvonne? Are you going to want someone to take both of them together or are you going to separate them? Do they look healthy to you. In the pictures they look very good to me. Is that your son in the picture that's holding one of them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're slightly pyramided, but look good. The guy holding them is the owner. He did a pretty good job of raising them. They're not shy and other than (in my opinion) being a little light, they look pretty healthy.

It would be nice to place them in the same home, but that's not a prerequisite. Yes, they've always lived together, and the smaller one has lived with them for as long as he's had him too.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Are the pig blankets expensive that you have. I was trying to see in the pictures how they are plugged in but couldn't figure it out. I can see a cable on one of them, but can't figure out if thats the cord or what?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TylerStewart said:
I'll take them all, and will be in the area next weekend. Good?

I need to know that they are going to a place where they can hopefully live out the rest of their lives in safety. No re-selling. And into a tortoise-safe yard. That's why I usually only adopt tortoises out locally...so I can do a yard inspection.

If you're going to be here next week-end you are more than welcome to stop by. I'd love to meet you in person.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The two larger tortoises have been placed! Just looking to find a good home for the smaller one.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yvonne how many inches is the little one do you think. He looks big but it's hard to tell. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't measure him, but looking at the picture in my mind I'll guess about 7 or 8". I know he's 5lbs. Maybe as big as a half cantaloupe?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
So no takers for this little one yet Yvonne? Can you tell I'm very curious about him/her? :D

M

Maggie Cummings

you'd better change Bob's name, or My Bob will beat him up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.