Sulcata's front legs moving

Shua71

In May of last year I purchased two sulcata hatchlings off Craigslist. I thought I had done all my research and was ready for them, but clearly I was not. One sulcata did well the first few weeks then became sluggish and died at the vet after multiple visits. The other one was doing great then for a period of a few months was not eating. It now eats great and appears to be doing very well. Gets to roam outside whenever the weather is warm enough and eats grass/ weeds along with mazuri. Only issue I'm worried about is its minimal growth in almost a year.

It is being kept in a 40 gallon tank with moistened coco coir with a humid hide. Temps are at 83 and basking spot is about 90. The sulcata is soaked daily in warm water and i'm following Tom's car sheet with everything.

I've noticed recently it's front legs have been moving back and forth rather rapidly when it is sleeping or basking. It has me a little concerned and I'm wondering if this is due to breathing issues and it has RI. I have not heard any odd noises or seen any bubbles coming out of its nose. Have any of you had any experience with this? I'll try to get a video and upload it. It is very difficult to describe

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Relax... take a breath, after all that is what it is doing. Tortoise pump their legs like bellows, no diaphragm like we have. It is normal breathing, nothing to worry about. :)

Zeko

5 Year Member
Totally normal. The not growing part is the troublesome thing.

Do you have high humidity for him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't worry too much about the growing. He had a ruff start until you got him. Most likely is undersized for his age because of the lack of proper care. Give him time and most likely you will see him start to grow. Add Mazuri to his diet a couple times a week if you don't already. That helps put growth on. I rescued a leopard that was undersized and couldn't walk properly. Took almost a year for her to finally put a little new growth on.