Sulcata's Growth Rate

rocillo.a

Location (City and/or State)
Tagaytay City, Cavite, Philippines
I am a new owner of a less than a month sulcata, he (i just assume that it is a male) is less than 2.25" now.

i just wanna ask what is the common average size of a sulcata when it reaches its 2nd month and 4th month..

any idea please..

thanks in advance.

10479583_758056497587189_1031185976_n.jpg 10479583_758056497587189_1031185976_n.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, there really is no average, as they all grow at their own pace, depending on how they were hatched, raised and genetics. As long as you are doing the right things and he keeps gaining weight and does grow some, you will see the growth lines, then I wouldn't worry about it. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the proper housing and raising of your little one to growth healthy and smooth.

rocillo.a

Sorry, there really is no average, as they all grow at their own pace, depending on how they were hatched, raised and genetics. As long as you are doing the right things and he keeps gaining weight and does grow some, you will see the growth lines, then I wouldn't worry about it. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the proper housing and raising of your little one to growth healthy and smooth.

yes but you know, some might be recording the growth of their sulcata's, the answers here will be consolidated and compare it one by one to get the "most common" size when it reaches 2 months.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Thank you! I had looked for something similar when I got mine, and didn't find anything showing monthly growth, so I decided to set this up myself. I am glad you enjoyed it. Keep checking back, or if you like his page, you will get his monthly updates on your news feed!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Mine are two months old (yesterday) and are between 2.25 and 2.5 inches...and all three are hovering around 50 grams. There's really no rule of thumb...it's all about genetics and care.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Very true, but it is fun to track their growth and development, and look for smooth growth to make sure you are doing things right. I have enjoyed tracking mine, and hope it is useful to others! I wish someone had done this before me for the comparison. Husbandry is extremely important in this species.

rocillo.a

Mine are two months old (yesterday) and are between 2.25 and 2.5 inches...and all three are hovering around 50 grams. There's really no rule of thumb...it's all about genetics and care.

Hello there DeanS, i've been reading and checking you ultra heavy photo, it is awesome.

we have tortoise with the same age and size... great to know that. thank you for the info.

rocillo.a

Very true, but it is fun to track their growth and development, and look for smooth growth to make sure you are doing things right. I have enjoyed tracking mine, and hope it is useful to others! I wish someone had done this before me for the comparison. Husbandry is extremely important in this species.

yes i have already checked your Juju's facebook page. it is realy smooth and healthy. it is amazing you have regular monthly monitoring.

zaroba

my little baby, around 4 months old currently (estimation, figure she was a month old when I got her 3 months ago).
Always weighed after feeding time.

5/3/14 51 grams
5/17/14 59 grams
6/15/14 64 grams
7/11/14 72 grams

rocillo.a

my little baby, around 4 months old currently (estimation, figure she was a month old when I got her 3 months ago).
Always weighed after feeding time.

5/3/14 51 grams
5/17/14 59 grams
6/15/14 64 grams
7/11/14 72 grams

thank you sir, do have size of your sully following to those dates..

thank you in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The variation in growth rates can vary so much that it makes any average meaningless. My hatchlings would hit 50 grams at 3-4 weeks. Dean's are around 8 weeks at that size. I've seen lots of 10-12 MONTH old sulcatas that are barely 50 grams.

Generally speaking, with good hydration, good diet, adequate humidity, sunshine and a large enclosure, they will grow faster than the ones one rabbit pellets with no water bowl and low humidity.

rocillo.a

The variation in growth rates can vary so much that it makes any average meaningless. My hatchlings would hit 50 grams at 3-4 weeks. Dean's are around 8 weeks at that size. I've seen lots of 10-12 MONTH old sulcatas that are barely 50 grams.

Generally speaking, with good hydration, good diet, adequate humidity, sunshine and a large enclosure, they will grow faster than the ones one rabbit pellets with no water bowl and low humidity.

hehehe i think you are right sir Tom.... i just finished my closed chamber its like a replica of yours but a way smaller. but it looks better than my old glass tank. i wanted to show it to you but it not possible to send a picture on message.

rocillo.a

hehehe i think you are right sir Tom.... i just finished my closed chamber its like a replica of yours but a way smaller. but it looks better than my old glass tank. i wanted to show it to you but it not possible to send a picture on message.

rocillo.a

@Tom

Sir Tom this is Rhyno my 3 month old sulcata, the seller told me that it is about 2 months old before i purchased him last june 14 2014, now is his first month. Does he looks healthy:(... his size is between 2.25" to 2.50". its been a month but i didn't see much growth. DSC_0171.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
rocillo, what does your baby weigh?
How was it started, wet or dry?

I've never done one at 99% humidity. I can't maintain it that high here and mine all get to dry out in the sun for and hour or two a day. I don't know what that amount will do. To be safe, you could reduce moisture, or add ventilation to get it down closer to 80%.

You say your temps are 30-33. Where? That is good for the warm side, but is there a cool side or a basking spot? What about at night time?

30-33 is great for a daytime ambient. But then I like to have night temps drop down to around 26. I also offer a basking spot around 37-38 during the day. The air under my basking bulbs is much lower in humidity and this might offer a spot to dry out a bit for your baby. 30-33 all the time round the clock with nothing else would not be good in my experience. They need it cooler at night and they need a warmer spot for basking during the day.