Sulcatas in history

Solomon21

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Does any written history of sulcatas exist? like before 1900. It seems almost all information about them comes from experience in captivity, other than a man named Tomas, who I see posted about sometimes. Occasionally i've seen or heard comments about them being eaten by sailors but no real source. Surely the ancient Romans and Greeks would have encountered them right?

Lucyrae

CA
There are sulcata tortoise fountains in the Tortuga contrada in Siena. They're hundreds of years old. Don't know the precise history of either these fountains or the sulcatas being brought into Italy from Northern Africa. But, clearly they are a familiar image to Italians.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does any written history of sulcatas exist? like before 1900. It seems almost all information about them comes from experience in captivity, other than a man named Tomas, who I see posted about sometimes. Occasionally i've seen or heard comments about them being eaten by sailors but no real source. Surely the ancient Romans and Greeks would have encountered them right?
There are more sulcata in the world than any other species, yet almost nothing is known of their lives in the wild. Most of what I've learned came from Tomas, and from the book that he contributed to called "The Crying Tortoise". I've never seen any statuary of them in my travels around the world, so the Italian fountains sound fascinating.

Solomon21

Kansas
There are more sulcata in the world than any other species, yet almost nothing is known of their lives in the wild. Most of what I've learned came from Tomas, and from the book that he contributed to called "The Crying Tortoise". I've never seen any statuary of them in my travels around the world, so the Italian fountains sound fascinating.
Thank you. You are a blessing to me and im sure many other tortoise owners. Without your knowledge my tortoise's life would be very unpleasant and dry. Thank you again