Sulcatas new room in the basement

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
My 2 yr old sulcata, Hugo (was Harper until I seen his manhood :) is about 14 or so lbs & 12-13 inches ( I really need to check what current size & weight are but that gives you an idea ) We are working on the winter home. Are planning a barn in the future but this is it for wintering for the next couple of years.

I have him in an outside enclosure (about 15 x 25 grass & weeds area). We have a basement Bedroom that we just converted, insulated the ceiling & window, and are installing the heating unit this weekend.We laid rubber flooring down to insulate the floor too. The pinned in area is 12x15.

If you see the pic I have a table on the left that I am going to use to hang my Arcadia tube uv light from and a che to encourage basking in that area. I have to add the soaking dish - whole other issue- yet. My Box turtle will most likely live in his own enclosure on that table too.

Any other ideas to help it look more habitable? I have a grow lamp hanging from the ceiling & I am going to add a couple of plants that I have not managed to kill yet......
20150906_121931.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there any kind of heater in the basement room? Something to keep the ambient temp liveable?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Big potted plants, vines like squash, or pothos are okay. Plants just make it seem more alive. Even hanging plants above where Hugo can reach in the first place. I think Plants are about all that I see/read is missing. Maybe a few thermometers would be good too.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
How are your temps in the basement? Will you be putting substrate down? Can you hang grow lights and plant/pot a ton of plants in his enclosure so he can eat and it looks like outdoors? I would be worried about humidity. He needs it but I fear it will ruin your walls, etc.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How are your temps in the basement? Will you be putting substrate down? Can you hang grow lights and plant/pot a ton of plants in his enclosure so he can eat and it looks like outdoors? I would be worried about humidity. He needs it but I fear it will ruin your walls, etc.
I was not going to put substrate down but I may end up doing it if the floor temps are to cool

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Yes, we have a ceiling mounted heater, the kind you use for garages or barns. I will have it on a thermostat. Putting it in this weekend.

Will you let us know how it goes? I have thought of this but was worried I would not be able to warm it if we did it this way.... You could do so much with this!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Will you let us know how it goes? I have thought of this but was worried I would not be able to warm it if we did it this way.... You could do so much with this!
Will do. We insulated it as best as we could and i used the drylock basement paint in there so hopefully that helps with the would be humidity damage. We also got an exterior door too on the room So that might help hold the heat in as well.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
you could always just put substrate down in a single area. like a large tub or something. that way he can still dig or sleep there and feel the grounds warmth

Prairie Mom

Awesome, Lisa!!! We are doing the EXACT same thing this year. Our beastie will live downstairs until we have the permanent room attached to our garage. I'll share a couple thoughts that came to my mind...

-I've never seen that rubber flooring before. That's a really good idea!
-I'm curious to see what you come up with for soaking/water. I've considered looking into floor mop sinks. I'm eager to see what you do.
-I agree with everyone's thoughts about plants. Also, if you start doing more indoor gardening with lights etc, you would be amazed how this raises room temperature and humidity. I plan to make my growlight set up on shelves in my tortoise room just to aid in climate.
-I'm curious if you do decide to use a substrate. It would be really handy just to catch tortoise "leavings.":) I used to have an indoor room for squirrel rehabbing.(Now they have an indoor/outdoor room off an outbuilding. Substrate can be done cheaply and in a way that looks really cool....we had cut down some small trees and large branches, so I had piles of short logs. I used the logs to line the wall and divide up the floor space in the room. In one area of the room, I used Autumn leaves as a substrate and switched them out with bagged leaves as needed. The room got a whole new batch and a complete clean-out each Autumn. I had another area of the floor covered in cheap floor boards and topped with the ugliest cheapest kitchen laminate I could find. -This area had bags of topsoil. Sometimes, I'd shovel in some garden dirt, but didn't do it too often just to avoid bringing in bugs.

I'm eager to see what you come up with! Please keep updating:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

-I'm curious to see what you come up with for soaking/water. I've considered looking into floor mop sinks. I'm eager to see what you do.
This is what I got for soak disk. Its pretty heavy duty I and the size is perfect for Hugo. Depth is 2" which will work for now. I am trying to figure out a ramp into it at the moment, he can get out of it, but doesn't want to climb in it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ERX2EG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
-I agree with everyone's thoughts about plants. .
So do I, I just happen to have the blackest thumb in all of tortoise land. I have two Hibiscus trees I have managed to keep alive and one cactus. I am really going to try to start som squash vines but.......we will see.
-I'm curious if you do decide to use a substrate.
I am debating on putting some cypress mulch down there. I also have a plastic kiddy pool I may fill with top soil & seed it with a grazing mix, cut a walk way in & out for Hugo. The husband is not sold on substrate.
Im going to work on it this weekend!

Prairie Mom

Garden trays do make great water dishes. I use one outside. Squash vines don't live too long unless you have lots and lots of grow lights and huge pots, so don't feel bad when you feed the whole thing after about a month. The seeds grow pretty quickly and you can always keep replanting. I LOVE the idea of the kiddy pool grazing area. I'm so excited to see how this turns out:)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Lights added, oil filled heater added to the hide, and water dish. Moved Hugo down there last night. Room temp is 80's, box stays about 85 to 90. Getting a basking spot of 98 & water is a nice 90. Need to add plants and lights for growing yet.
20150920_122025.jpg 20150920_122025.jpg 20150920_122037.jpg 20150920_122107.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I meant to mention this earlier and forgot: Be sure to get all cords up above tortoise level. If they can get into trouble with them, they certainly will.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yep, there are up for now. Will have to figure something out as he grows though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have recently started using thick rubber interlocking mats on the floor of my torts room which helps insulate it. The only trouble is that wee leeks through the join so I have to take them up to clean.
However, I'm sure I read that Yvonne uses thick rubber sheets for horse boxes/stables on the floor of her outside sheds which may be a better option.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Heres the update after a couple of weeks-
Heater- I wanted to use a ceiling mounted heater I got off craigslist but my hubby said we need another breaker to do this so for now I have an Amish style inferred heater set on 82 degrees. Heat stays pretty good right now & there is an oil filled heater in the hide box.
Humidity- the biggest problem- I have been dumping water into the hide substrate to keep it humid but the room itself, not too humid at all.
Space- I taped a few of the seams of the rubber flooring to keep the mess from getting through. So far so good. Hugo walks all day, the room size has been great so far.
Other room mates- The russian & boxie have been moved in & because the ambient temps are so much higher than the old turtle room I have to make a few more adjustments to keep their habitats from getting too warm. I have not seen the Russian slow down for the year yet like I did last so maybe this is helping.
Added plants and another fluorescent fixture- plants are still alive.
Water Dish- Hugo loves to sit in the water & this is where he poos....Bigger issue now that the dish is bigger & not as easy to clean. I bought a 2.5 gallon shop vac & that has solved this issue. Life is good for us both now.
20151003_175317.jpg 20151003_175328.jpg 20151003_175353.jpg