Sulcatas Outdoors at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagirl5

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
I have two sulcatas that are almost a year old. They spend all day outside in their outdoor enclosure from 8am until 9pm. If the enclosure is 100% secure, would you say it's safe to leave them outside at night? I have dogs so there's little chanceo of raccoons or other animals getting them. They also made a burrow that's pretty deep and it would be pretty hard for anything to get them. The temperatures here never get below 50 degrees even during winter. So would it be okay for them to sleep outdoors at night?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not without heat. Tom, does not let his stay outside 24/7 until they are around 8 inches long, head to tail, shell length. Then he still has heat for the colder nights.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Good advice from ChiTown...what is it? 50F during the day? You might wanna leave the CA advice to those who know firsthand, eh? ;)

Seriously, Santa Barbara is too cool to allow your animals to stay out overnight! How big are they? Because I was letting mine stay out during the summer...but I'm in Lancaster and temps were never below 80F this summer. Even now, it's been 70-75F but given the small amount of moisture, they're all coming in for the night! If it's possible, you might consider one of these...

http://www.tinytortoises.co.uk/how to build a tortoise enclosure.html

Good luck and keep us posted!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I thought it was getting too cold out there...I love the idea of that shed, DeanS...

Status
Not open for further replies.