Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I just took in two sulcatas. The male is 34lbs and the female is 46lbs. The previous owner took them in as rescues when they were the size of half a large grapefruit. The female was pretty badly pyramided and the male was badly deformed besides being pyramided. They have had them for the past 8 years, making the tortoises about 12 to 15 years old. You can see that the carapaces have smoothed out quite a bit, but the original "points" are still very visible on the female and the male's deformity will never go away, but the new growth has been pretty smooth. At one time it looks like the heat source was too close to the back of the female and she has lost some scute material.

These are up for adoption, no fee, but I need to see the yard to be sure the tortoises are going to a safe and sulcata friendly home.

Yvonne
559 298-7114

The male next to my size 8 shoe:

malesulcata12-29-08.jpg

and again:

malesulcata-2.jpg

The female next to my size 8 shoe:

femsulcata12-29-08.jpg

and again:

femsulcata-2.jpg

floridajake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I feel so bad for thier shells, especially the one with the missing scutes. They probably don't mind much though. My bigger one has some pyramiding from his previous home, but gets along just fine. Can you ship? I have room for another enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
floridatort said:
I feel so bad for their shells, especially the one with the missing scutes. They probably don't mind much though. My bigger one has some pyramiding from his previous home, but gets along just fine. Can you ship? I have room for another enclosure.

Shipping isn't an option right now with the winter weather, and my Dudley won't allow me to keep other tortoises within smelling distance to his enclosure, so I have to find homes for them sooner than spring. He hasn't noticed them yet, but when he does, he'll work at the fence until he breaks it down.

Yvonne

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
I'd love to take them but I'm not set up for them. Good luck. Nice shoe laces though!

floridajake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
He hasn't noticed them yet, but when he does, he'll work at the fence until he breaks it down.

Yvonne

LOL!

M

Maggie Cummings

Actually, it's NOT funny. My sister while she is a great carpenter will have to pay for fence wood and rebuild her fence once Dudley smells those tortoises. Because someone else shifts responsibility for their animals onto someone else. Yvonne will have to find homes for 2 good sized tortoises quickly in the middle of winter because someone decided for whatever reason to stop taking care of their animals. Granted I did this myself last month, in my case the animal was being abused and I don't have room to make another pen. It was the best decision for Tony's safety. But Yvonne knew long before the event that she was going to get him, so she could make plans on where to keep him. Now in winter she has 2 big animals and because I know how her property is set up, she does not have a pen to put them in away from Dudley.
I know that everybody across the nation is having financial problems, but that does not make it right to dump your animals on to someone else. I certainly am having a problem financially also, but getting rid of my animals is not a option to me. These animals are my family and they certainly have treated me better then some of my family. It just makes me mad when people just give up their animals to someone elses care...and it's not because of any emotion I have invested in them, it's because they are my responsibility...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know exactly where you are coming from, Maggie. I went through something similar when we had to make a sudden move recently (situations outside of my control, long story that I will not burden you all with.)

My entire family argued with me, saying "You need to get rid of your horses."

I fought tooth and nail. I own those animals, and I made a commitment to them when I bought them. I am not going to dump them on someone else for something that is not their fault. The horse market is so terribly flooded with unwanted animals right now that god only knows what would have happened to them. Someone could have abused or starved them, and I can't live not knowing that they are well taken care of. The only place that they could ever be that I would know for sure is with me and me alone.

Needless to say I moved heaven and earth to find a place where I could board six horses without going totally busted broke. I leased out my herd of dairy goats, and a neighbor took in my chickens for the cost of feed only. Not a single one of my animals has left my ownership.

I digress from the original topic. I wish you the best Yvonne in rehoming them, before chaos breaks loose. I live in a climate that is mostly unsuited to Sulcata ownership, and I have my hands full with my two so I would not even suggest trying to adopt them myself at this time, even without the shipping issues.

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I want to thank everyone for your interest. Both tortoises have been placed.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tortoisenerd said:
Yay! I hope they like their new homes. Are they staying together?

No, in MY OPINION it would be ill-conceived to place a male and female in the same home.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The female went to a family in the foothills who has a large property and different pens for their tortoises. This is their first sulcata and they have a really nice pen and warm-shed for her.

The male went to a young family here in town who have been on the list for a long time and have had their pen and warm-house ready for quite a while. They were really happy to finally have a sulcata and especially one that large!

Because Dudley is SO very pushy and aggressive about "smelling" other sulcatas in HIS territory, its always a big "WHEW!!" when the rescued sulcatas find new homes! Even though they aren't put in with him, he still knows they're there and it drives him nuts.

Yvonne

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Awsome and congrats on rehoming those beautiful tortoises Yvonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.