Sulcate Male Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

uc69az

Hello, new to the Group here.
Owner of 70Lb and 30Lb Male Sulcate, a Hindgeback tortoise and one Box Tortoise.
I have a huge problem with the sulcate, They have always got along till this past month or so, now the bigger will chase, ram and mount the smaller one to the point he is leaving the shell scraped and bruised.
I am wondering if its a seasonal thing (Monsoon season in Phoenix) and they will stop, or if I need to separate or re-home Milo (the smaller one), I have a nice big yard, but don't really want to make a pen for one, unless its temporary.
Milo (smaller one) in turn harasses the hindgeback (tries to mate with him). So I'm thinking I may rehome Milo if I find a suitable home where he wont be kept with other Sulcate males (I have a feeling he will become agressive also),
Let me know if any of you have had similar experiences. I really want happy content Tortoises, not bruised and bloody shells.
Thanks, Mick

Attachments

• 100_0523.jpg
    100_0523.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0526.jpg
    100_0526.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0527.jpg
    100_0527.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_0528.jpg
    100_0528.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_0529.jpg
    100_0529.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 25

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello, Welcome to TFO!! I would seperate them if you choose to keep them. By the way I sent you a email off of your craigslist ad.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Mick :D

I agree with Jen, that if your going to keep the 2 of them you need to seperate them. Your larger one can do a great deal of damage to the smaller one, which has already started as evidenced by your pictures.
I would also seperate your hingeback as he/she needs a much more humid enviroment than the sulcatas do.

Danny

Jeremy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Mick; Sorry to hear your torts are fighting. But I think you came to the right place if you realy want to find a good home for your tort. Their are a lot of experienced keepers here.

Good luck

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.