Sulcatta Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself. I've stalked this site on and off for awhile now and I finally got my lovely little guy this weekend at Repticon so I figured I should finally join up. Now that I actually have a Sulcatta all this info is a little more urgent and I just want to thank everyone for having an awesome site, there is so much contradictory information out there that having a bunch of people that seem to know what they a doing in the same place and spelling everything out is invaluable.
But enough about me Levi (or Leviathan as my friends insist, but I can't very well call him that when he's barely 4 inches long, and I think by the time he's big enough to use it Levi will have stuck) seems happy and healthy, he's even more active than I expected which is great (and not to mention adorable). For right now I have him in a big rubber tub with a mixture of organic top soil, Timothy and orchard grasses ( I kind of tore up the grasses and smooshed them down so his little feet wouldn't get caught) I have a CHE and a lamp on the hot side and one of those half log things on the cool side for a hide. After reading the lovely hatchling post here I'm going to make him a plastic shoebox humid hide tonight. I've been feeding him a mixture of spring mix and mazuri diet ( he doesn't seem to really go for the mazuri) and I'm going edible plant hunting at the nursery this weekend. Umm... I've been soaking him every day for about 15 minutes ( quick question should the water be warm or room temp?) and we've been having excursions in the lawn after I get home in the evening to get him in the sun.

So I guess anyone have comments or tips? Does all of that sound ok?

Thanks again for the awesome site.

Cheers,
Ana

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ana:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Are you in Florida?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hello and welcome :) The water should be warm like a bath for a baby. I use a heating pad under to keep the water warm. We love pics so post one ASAP, LOL.

rk002

5 Year Member
Hi! Welcome to tortoise forum!

(10 small Sulcatas)
(5 medium Sulcatas)
(4 large Sulcatas)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Cool thanks guys. I've been using warm water but I just wanted to make sure. And Ive kind of been freaking out about making sure everything is right but after going back and rereading my post I sound like I have everything pretty well together, I guess I just needed to step back a minute and stop worrying ;)

And I'm in Columbia SC not Florida (I wish)

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Hey welcome. Try the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food and soak it first to make it soft and mix it into some healthy greens. Its a low protein and high fiber food. I also cut Timothy grass hay into little pieces and let soak in water then mix that into some greens and add a good calcuim with vitamin D supplement. It's what mine like best over anything else.

B

byerssusan

Hi, welcome. Your gonna find so much info here...and so many nice people here who have the knowledge and share that knowledge with us newbies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thanks for the welcome guys, and what better way to thank you than baby pictures? Let's just hope I have this photo bucket app figured out, sorry for the low quality they are all from my iPad camera.

cf6ed8c5.jpg

Hello everyone

c7b7492c.jpg

My house (for now)

d74cd51b.jpg

A little mazuri diet for dinner

fa674f17.jpg

Adventures on the rainbow quilt... I tried to eat the green stripe so mom got my breakfast

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
FADE2BLACK_1973 said:
Hey welcome. Try the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food and soak it first to make it soft and mix it into some healthy greens. Its a low protein and high fiber food. I also cut Timothy grass hay into little pieces and let soak in water then mix that into some greens and add a good calcuim with vitamin D supplement. It's what mine like best over anything else.

Thanks, I`ll try that see how he like it and I wondered about rehydrating some of the grass hay i'll test that out too.

cheers

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Welcome
You have very cute Sulcata.
Interesting he went for green on the quilt!He has already got you figured out-cute!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Tortoise said:
Welcome
You have very cute Sulcata.
Interesting he went for green on the quilt!He has already got you figured out-cute!

Oh he totally does, I'm all wrapped around his little shell...I'm already sketching out where I can put one of those epic artificial burrows Tom posted about at the family farm. I'm super excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.