Sulcatta rescued, feeling overwhelmed

kellygirl64

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
Hello, I rescued a tort, was told he was bought as a hatchling about 2 years ago. He was in a small 10 gallon tank with feces packed sand, very unsanitary conditions, to be kind. I never owned one of these and my only other tort was a Russian who passed away some time ago. I was told he (the sulcatta tort) was to never be given water, not to feed him hardly anything because he will grow huge and only let him get wet about twice a week, was given a spray bottle of calcium his home and the tort. He's now in a 75 gallon tank, with the correct white/uvb(?) lighting on the left of the tank and red night(?) lamp on the right. These are on mesh platforms and the top of the open tank area is covered lightly. After getting him about a month ago, I started feeding him daily, but only small amounts of pre-washed organic spring mix. There is silk greenery positioned in the tank for lots of shading and hiding options. I have the back side of the tank covered with a forest scene you can get at pet shops. His substrate is a generic reptile and bird product our local shop uses exclusively. His under the white light temp is 83. Under the red is 73. The ends of the tank are covered with black paper because he seems very scared all the time, even now. I had a hut in there but I couldn't maintain temperature around it and was worried. When I set his home up exactly as the former owner showed me, the internal tank temp was 115 degrees after 15 minutes. He had both lamps and a heat pad going 24/7. I was thinking this guy was finally stabilized enough to get him to a vet and have him evaluated. However, this last week, he's very lethargic, has not been waiting for me at breakfast and just stays in the red light corner. He will eat if I put his dish under his nose. I'd like to take him to the vet first week in March. I've read, horrified, about him needing to have water always available and such. I've hesitated on making any dietary changes beyond just having him eat daily at this point. Am I doing the best I can by this guy so far ? I'm thinking to get a ceramic heat lamp for the middle of the tank area at the top, if more heat is suggested. I guess I feel like I've finally got things right but then he doesn't seem like himself. I was not ready for this situation but I'm glad I can help him. It's not my intention to keep him long term though. I just want him stable, predictable and healthy for the new owner when the time comes. I am also considering a smaller environment. I honestly just don't know how to care for this guy beyond my readings and hopes. My question is does this habitat situation seem ok enough for now, or is there anything I need to do or change for his benefit that will help this guy be the best tort he can be ? He is given spring water, his spring mix and his calcium spritz twice a week. Thanks.

IMG_0409.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To be perfectly honest, I surprised he's still alive, having lived under such poor conditions before you got him.

I think he's not warm enough. Your lights are too high, and the screen filters out the UVB he requires for calcium to work. It should be 100F directly under the light, fading to the 80's.

Place him into a little tub of warm water and leave him soaking in there for at least a half hour. The water should come up to the middle of his sides. He needs this daily.

Please read the important threads (stickies) pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. You will learn correct sulcata care from them.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
You're doing an awesome thing rescuing him [emoji846] don't get frustrated if you don't get everything right immediately. Everyone here has great experience and advice and truly want what's best for the tortosies

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Please get rid of the red light. A CHE would be a good alternative and it can be left on at night for heat. You should feed him as much as he can eat, and soak him daily in warm water. He needs humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All constructive criticism here. If you don't know what is wrong, you won't know what to fix. I see a few problems:
  • That tank is better than a 10 gallon, but its still too small for this tortoise. You need something bigger as soon as you can.
  • No red bulbs. Living in a red world messes with their heads and frequently hampers appetite. Use a CHE for night and ambient heat. The coldest part of the tank should not drop below 80, day or night.
  • Your temps are too cold for this tropical species. Get a larger wattage bulb, or get the bulb closer to the tortoise.
  • What kind of bulb is the white one?
  • That substrate is no good. Its too dry and its an impaction risk. Use fine grade orchid bark. You can get it at the pet store, but its expensive by the time you get enough. I buy it in bulk at local garden centers for a fraction of the price.
  • The fake plants look nice but every time I've tried that, my sulcata babies eat them. It is a serious impaction risk. Keep an eye on that.
  • Spring mix is okay as a small part of a varied diet, but its not a good diet by itself. It lacks fiber, lacks calcium and has the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio.
  • This baby needs daily warm water soaks for at least a month or two.
All of this and more is explained here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

After reading these things, please come back and ask questions. We want to help. If any of this doesn't make sense or isn't clear, we are happy to explain it more thoroughly.

kellygirl64

To be perfectly honest, I surprised he's still alive, having lived under such poor conditions before you got him.

I think he's not warm enough. Your lights are too high, and the screen filters out the UVB he requires for calcium to work. It should be 100F directly under the light, fading to the 80's.

Place him into a little tub of warm water and leave him soaking in there for at least a half hour. The water should come up to the middle of his sides. He needs this daily.

Please read the important threads (stickies) pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. You will learn correct sulcata care from them.
Thanks so much ! I have been reading some of the care sheets. How do I keep a 1/2 hour bath warm for him, please. ?

kellygirl64

Please get rid of the red light. A CHE would be a good alternative and it can be left on at night for heat. You should feed him as much as he can eat, and soak him daily in warm water. He needs humidity.
Wow, thanks so much. The feeding, soaking n humidity are completely opposite of what his former owner told me, that's probably why I'm so worried, because I did try to keep with his owners directions. He told me humidity would make him very sick. I'm feeling pretty dumb but my heart's in the right place. Thanks again.

kellygirl64

All constructive criticism here. If you don't know what is wrong, you won't know what to fix. I see a few problems:
  • That tank is better than a 10 gallon, but its still too small for this tortoise. You need something bigger as soon as you can.
  • No red bulbs. Living in a red world messes with their heads and frequently hampers appetite. Use a CHE for night and ambient heat. The coldest part of the tank should not drop below 80, day or night.
  • Your temps are too cold for this tropical species. Get a larger wattage bulb, or get the bulb closer to the tortoise.
  • What kind of bulb is the white one?
  • That substrate is no good. Its too dry and its an impaction risk. Use fine grade orchid bark. You can get it at the pet store, but its expensive by the time you get enough. I buy it in bulk at local garden centers for a fraction of the price.
  • The fake plants look nice but every time I've tried that, my sulcata babies eat them. It is a serious impaction risk. Keep an eye on that.
  • Spring mix is okay as a small part of a varied diet, but its not a good diet by itself. It lacks fiber, lacks calcium and has the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio.
  • This baby needs daily warm water soaks for at least a month or two.
All of this and more is explained here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

After reading these things, please come back and ask questions. We want to help. If any of this doesn't make sense or isn't clear, we are happy to explain it more thoroughly.
Thank you ! I can't afford a bigger tank at this time. This tank is about 45 inches long and 13 wide. The best I can do is remove things if he needs more space. He is about half the size of my hand. I see there is a calcium / phosphorous section in the feeding suggestions, I will give it a longer look, and I have no troubles providing good foods, I will need to look for proper introductions and directions here for that as well. I will go to the pet shop today and bring some measurements and ask questions then come research again so I buy the right things. Can I ask, are these guys hardy enough that there's hope yet ? He's not shown any watery eyes or discharges or any odd behaviors or odors. Just isolating and lathargic, which I believe is due to the temps as you're pointing out. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I have a friend who is a gardener and can help me find the orchid bark in bulk. I am unsure of what type of shade items to put in there if he's short on space and the plants aren't ideal. I bought some basking docks / ramps but I honestly don't know how to use them. I worry he will flip off or over. But that's why we ask questions. The lights / heat, soaks and humidity are the priority so that will be my focus. And more reading ! Thanks again.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks so much ! I have been reading some of the care sheets. How do I keep a 1/2 hour bath warm for him, please. ?

Greetings! On your question....just add more warm water in as it cools down. If you soak in your kitchen...it’s easy to keep a tub of warm water...and continue with a trickle of warm water during the duration of your sully’s Soak. The important thing is to soak daily.

Best of luck to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you ! I can't afford a bigger tank at this time. This tank is about 45 inches long and 13 wide. The best I can do is remove things if he needs more space. He is about half the size of my hand. I see there is a calcium / phosphorous section in the feeding suggestions, I will give it a longer look, and I have no troubles providing good foods, I will need to look for proper introductions and directions here for that as well. I will go to the pet shop today and bring some measurements and ask questions then come research again so I buy the right things. Can I ask, are these guys hardy enough that there's hope yet ? He's not shown any watery eyes or discharges or any odd behaviors or odors. Just isolating and lathargic, which I believe is due to the temps as you're pointing out. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I have a friend who is a gardener and can help me find the orchid bark in bulk. I am unsure of what type of shade items to put in there if he's short on space and the plants aren't ideal. I bought some basking docks / ramps but I honestly don't know how to use them. I worry he will flip off or over. But that's why we ask questions. The lights / heat, soaks and humidity are the priority so that will be my focus. And more reading ! Thanks again.
This species can be surprisingly resilient, but they can only tolerate cold conditions for so long. Get that CHE and thermostat going ASAP.

Here is a tip: Stay out of the pet shop. In most cases you'll get bad advice and the wrong products. Most of what you need can be found at Walmart or the hardware store.

To keep soaking water warm you can do the soaking in a warm area, like inside the enclosure, you can put the tub on a heating pad, do it partially in the sun, or keep refreshing the water with warm water. The main thing is to watch the temp closely throughout the soak.

JustClick

Do yourself a favor and head to your favorite local discount tool place(harbor freight) and get one of those infrared laser thermometers. After coupon it’s probably 24 bucks. Has to be one of the most handy tools for keeping tortoises and reptiles in general.

Use that to dial in his basking spot and you can even use to on the soaking water to be sure of the temp.

If you can’t find orchid bark, then plain cypress mulch has worked for me. Make sure it’s not colored, runs about $3 for a huge bag. Way more than you would need.

I’d also go on eBay and order a couple pounds of mazuri tortoise diet. People debate its necessity but it will take a lot of guesswork out of the diet your feeding. Overnourishing would be better than under.

Once you get the hang of it then you can adjust things from there. Reptiles are about temps/humidity and diet first.

In my opinion, of course.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Wow, thanks so much. The feeding, soaking n humidity are completely opposite of what his former owner told me, that's probably why I'm so worried, because I did try to keep with his owners directions. He told me humidity would make him very sick. I'm feeling pretty dumb but my heart's in the right place. Thanks again.
Don't feel bad. The former owner had a lot of bad information. Humidity plus cold will make him sick, but humidity in a warm environment mimics the conditions where they are from in Africa. I got my sulcata almost 19 years ago, and I did a lot of things wrong back then. Now he is healthy and huge. I was lucky because one of the things I did right at the beginning was the daily soak.

It will be a challenge raising him in your climate once he gets big.

kellygirl64

Don't feel bad. The former owner had a lot of bad information. Humidity plus cold will make him sick, but humidity in a warm environment mimics the conditions where they are from in Africa. I got my sulcata almost 19 years ago, and I did a lot of things wrong back then. Now he is healthy and huge. I was lucky because one of the things I did right at the beginning was the daily soak.

It will be a challenge raising him in your climate once he gets big.
Thanks again !!

kellygirl64

Greetings! On your question....just add more warm water in as it cools down. If you soak in your kitchen...it’s easy to keep a tub of warm water...and continue with a trickle of warm water during the duration of your sully’s Soak. The important thing is to soak daily.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you ! I am doing the trickle but I stand there just to make sure all is well and that there are no fluctuations in temperature. If I have to do other things, I just do a water warm-up like you said. And the kitchen does work best. Thanks again.

kellygirl64

This species can be surprisingly resilient, but they can only tolerate cold conditions for so long. Get that CHE and thermostat going ASAP.

Here is a tip: Stay out of the pet shop. In most cases you'll get bad advice and the wrong products. Most of what you need can be found at Walmart or the hardware store.

To keep soaking water warm you can do the soaking in a warm area, like inside the enclosure, you can put the tub on a heating pad, do it partially in the sun, or keep refreshing the water with warm water. The main thing is to watch the temp closely throughout the soak.
Thanks so much ! The red lamp is gone, I am doing the soakings and I've sectioned off part of his tank for the moment, it is easier to maintain more even temperatures in a less open area for now. He's responding very well !!

kellygirl64

Do yourself a favor and head to your favorite local discount tool place(harbor freight) and get one of those infrared laser thermometers. After coupon it’s probably 24 bucks. Has to be one of the most handy tools for keeping tortoises and reptiles in general.

Use that to dial in his basking spot and you can even use to on the soaking water to be sure of the temp.

If you can’t find orchid bark, then plain cypress mulch has worked for me. Make sure it’s not colored, runs about $3 for a huge bag. Way more than you would need.

I’d also go on eBay and order a couple pounds of mazuri tortoise diet. People debate its necessity but it will take a lot of guesswork out of the diet your feeding. Overnourishing would be better than under.

Once you get the hang of it then you can adjust things from there. Reptiles are about temps/humidity and diet first.

In my opinion, of course.
Thanks so much ! I am struggling to find the orchid bark, alone. I will check for the cypress mulch, uncolored. Thanks for the tortoise diet suggestion, as well. Even if I don't have occasion to use it all the time, it's good to have something handy if I'm having trouble getting out for fresh produces. I'm still reading about diet. At the moment, the soaks, temperature stability and feeding him more than what I was initially told has helped a great deal. I'm less worried and he seems to be responding really well. Thanks again.

kellygirl64

Hello !! I've been reading and reading and I have learned that I am / was doing prettty much everything wrong, but it's ok. I've been making lists and have some orders ready to be placed. I am more confident with all my new knowledge that this little guy will be ok. I am glad spring is almost here and my master-gardener friend has offered to grow a section of select plants for the little guy, that is incredibly kind and will be very helpful. I was absolutely clueless about pyramiding, humidity, burrowing and diet when I rescued the tort. I have to thank you so very much for all the information you provided here, in this forum (all of the contributors) for I believe you gave this tort the best future for a healthy, happy life. Since his daily baths, diet adjustments and more stable temperatures, the tort has started playing with some objects in his home. His former owner had given me some balls and wooden blocks that I've since put in his habitat and he spends time rearranging and pushing things around. What a difference from just laying around. He seems a bit animated, less grumpy (he was deemed the 'little dude with the attitude' when I brought him here) and I am enjoying caring for him now as opposed to being worried all the time. It's a start. I will post updates as things continue to move forward. I am so very grateful for all this forum does !! "We" thank you !!

Melis

Maryland
Hello !! I've been reading and reading and I have learned that I am / was doing prettty much everything wrong, but it's ok. I've been making lists and have some orders ready to be placed. I am more confident with all my new knowledge that this little guy will be ok. I am glad spring is almost here and my master-gardener friend has offered to grow a section of select plants for the little guy, that is incredibly kind and will be very helpful. I was absolutely clueless about pyramiding, humidity, burrowing and diet when I rescued the tort. I have to thank you so very much for all the information you provided here, in this forum (all of the contributors) for I believe you gave this tort the best future for a healthy, happy life. Since his daily baths, diet adjustments and more stable temperatures, the tort has started playing with some objects in his home. His former owner had given me some balls and wooden blocks that I've since put in his habitat and he spends time rearranging and pushing things around. What a difference from just laying around. He seems a bit animated, less grumpy (he was deemed the 'little dude with the attitude' when I brought him here) and I am enjoying caring for him now as opposed to being worried all the time. It's a start. I will post updates as things continue to move forward. I am so very grateful for all this forum does !! "We" thank you !!
Hi! Torts don't "play" like we imagine. If he is pushing around a ball, its most likely because he sees it as an invader of his territory. This can cause unnecessary stress. I've seen many suggestions on this forum of creating sight barriers and hiding food in new areas, so the tort has to go search for it. Those are some fun activities you could enjoy with your tort.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Definitely glad to hear your updates and positive attitude to make things right! Keep on with your improvements...warm spring and hot summer temps coupled with garden greens and WEEDS are around the corner!

Keep it up!