Sulcatta rescued, feeling overwhelmed

kellygirl64

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
Hi! Torts don't "play" like we imagine. If he is pushing around a ball, its most likely because he sees it as an invader of his territory. This can cause unnecessary stress. I've seen many suggestions on this forum of creating sight barriers and hiding food in new areas, so the tort has to go search for it. Those are some fun activities you could enjoy with your tort.
Thanks !! I'm aware that he is doing something, he was with another tort that had died prior to my getting to this guy, and apparently they did remodeling often LOL. He lays next to a little pig ball that he moves around to areas then lays there with it. Today he put a red ball into a tube and it took some effort for me to get it out. I'd be glad to remove the toys but I've been leery of too many changes too fast. He does seem to miss his litter-mate of two years so I guess that's probably enough stress right there for him. Hiding foods at this point isn't ok for me yet as I monitor what and how he eats at meals and it's just easier for me to keep track of the foods if they remain in his designated feeding area for now. I will leave the pig and remove the balls and blocks. I see it as having no negative effects and if it helps reduce his stress, I'm all for it !! Thanks for the pointer, it gives me notions for the future.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks !! I'm aware that he is doing something, he was with another tort that had died prior to my getting to this guy, and apparently they did remodeling often LOL. He lays next to a little pig ball that he moves around to areas then lays there with it. Today he put a red ball into a tube and it took some effort for me to get it out. I'd be glad to remove the toys but I've been leery of too many changes too fast. He does seem to miss his litter-mate of two years so I guess that's probably enough stress right there for him. Hiding foods at this point isn't ok for me yet as I monitor what and how he eats at meals and it's just easier for me to keep track of the foods if they remain in his designated feeding area for now. I will leave the pig and remove the balls and blocks. I see it as having no negative effects and if it helps reduce his stress, I'm all for it !! Thanks for the pointer, it gives me notions for the future.
I don't think he misses the other tort. Torts are solitary animals and are much happier and healthier without the competition. He might think the pig ball is another tortoise that is competing for resources and lays next to it to try to bully it. I doubt it is helping relieve stress. It more likely causes stress.

kellygirl64

I don't think he misses the other tort. Torts are solitary animals and are much happier and healthier without the competition. He might think the pig ball is another tortoise that is competing for resources and lays next to it to try to bully it. I doubt it is helping relieve stress. It more likely causes stress.
Thanks !! I guess I'm not accustomed to a creature that just exists. I certainly don't want him stressed, so taking out his things. Thanks again.

kellygirl64

Hello, just thought I would update a bit. I was very worried because I started transitioning the tort's diet a bit then lost electricity for many days and I had to body-heat the tort until I could get us to shelter but the blizzard was a barrier. I am positive I did everything I could to ensure his safety and warmth. He seems to have done ok with all that. He is still eating the organic spring mix as he always had but it's much less and I've added a commercial tortoise food, wherein he now gets the soaked/sprinkled pellets, some hibiscus petals, and a there are a few other things. I also got timothy hay and was told to just put it in his dish whole and dry. Although he gets a very tiny amount at this point, I don't care for how it looks as he's eating it, more like sword-swallowing then 'grazing'. Ease my mind for me please. What is the best way to provide the hay? Is a fine chop with some moisture ok ? He's not getting tons because it's just a tiny supplement to get him towards grazing type behavior. I need to add that since he's been having the supplements, he seems to have given up the angry-roaming in his home. He still follows me around from inside there but he's not banging on the glass or wrecking the place. He does very well with his soakings and I fully enjoy his little body going from looking like a stone to looking like a tortoise whos' relaxed and happy when he gets into the water. I can almost hear him sigh. It's a bonding event for me, quite relaxing for us both. The warm water running through my hands - ensuring proper temperature throughout his bath is actually quite soothing on my arthritis. I have his habitat enclosed. It is still the tank pictured but there is a tunnel through the center. The ambient and direct temps and humidity are acceptable - leaning towards ideal. Any foliage is on the outside. His poops are consistent with his feedings and the black colored lower beak that was um, from eating his poops is regaining normal color so that means he's eating less poop. Yay !! I'm still here reading as much as I can. I'm making lists and am working on still getting him healthy and strong for some lucky folks someday. I'm waiting for a scale and will do weigh-ins when that comes. I also have secured a plot of rich earth for growing some things here and my gardener friend has offered to grow cactus for me. He has a cactus room, just haven't got to the point of which ones are for the tort to be able to consume. I am hoping that research gets going soon. It would be nice to provide the plants for his new owners, I'm sure they would appreciate the love and effort. Thanks again folks, you've been awesome for this guy.