Sulcuta

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I moved to Oregon from Fresno...I love it...here is how my torts are set up...Mary Knobbins sleeps inside this box with a heat mat, and you can see the heater for ambient heat. It stays 85 degrees even with snow outside. That funky hanging is the 100 watt basking light. Because she can go outside her basking light is a 100 watt incandescent bulb. I open her doggie door very day. She can go out if she wants.100_6293.JPG
The shed is 20'X12' heated and insulated. Mary goes in and out freely.
100_6311.JPG100_1491.JPG
Mary's favorite basking spot...100_2844.JPG
If you have never had a large tort like that...you have a lot good and bad coming...but you need to know how to keep a 100 pound bulldozer...he needs heat and room to walk thru the winter. I don't like just a night box. Mine have a hotel instead (sorta)...Everybody keeps a big tort differently but they still need, 85 degrees 100% of the time, a water source a safe sleeping spot...stay and ask questions cuz you don't realize it yet but you are in for a time...

jeannettep

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
How do you keep your shed heated without your electric bill looking like the national debt? I'm near Galveston, TX and last January my bill was 4x what it normally should be and we had a warm winter. I was just trying to keep their habitat above 80 in the shed. My shed looks almost identical to yours but smaller.