Sully Salad! For new tort owners- pic heavy

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Today was an indoor gardening day so I had a lot of trimming to do, and it made me remember what it was like last year when I was a panicked wreck about what a tort salad was, how often to feed, what was in it and everything else I could possibly freak out about, so I thought I would share Odin's lunch snack.
For reference, he does not get regular salads, not that there is anything wrong with it. I just prefer him to graze freely in his enclosure, choosing what he prefers at the time, and hopefully knowing what his body needs, but when things aren't growing well inside or out, particularly in our Minnesota winters, even I throw in a bit of store bought food. (about a dozen times in 19 months, but who's counting :confused:)

The special today, in Master Odin's bistro is a bed of fresh fescue (three varieties), tender young wheat grass, and a smidge of catgrass along with a couple of julienned hibiscus leaves, a few store-bought spring mix leaves and rough-chopped opuntia (fresh off the plant!)
This lovely ensemble is topped with a bit of freshly grated pumpkin (rind included) and a crumble of dried hibiscus leaves and just a hint of timothy hay......057.JPG

He is not a fan of the size comparison. Maybe he is conscious of his eating habits and he does not want the internet to judge him? I do not know, but this is the rough size of the salads he receives. I aim for nearly the size of his shell with fresh offerings.058.JPG

This delightful summer mix is tossed lightly with a vinaigrette of two whole mazuri pellets, soaked and crushed with only the best aged city water059.JPG

And then topped with crunchy fruity pebble croutons, which you can't see because as soon as the salad is served someone starts shoving it in his face.
Alas my dreams of a tortoise food blog will never be realized because he is "starving to death" and can't wait a hot second for me to take a picture.
*dramatic sigh*060.JPG

Shh! He is distracted and can't see the camera!
061.JPG

These are the fruity pebbles to which I was referring. Last year when my son brought him home, these were the recommended foods the breeder told him about. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them, and obviously I am serving them now, but upon further research I am not comfortable making them a staple in his diet, particularly the first one because of the obvious added dyes.
On the other hand, I am cheap and unwilling to waste something that he obviously enjoys, so, when he gets a salad we use these as a light topping, which is why I call them fruity pebble croutons.077.JPG 078.JPG

He cannot get the food in his face fast enough.087.JPG

But eating can be a logistical nightmare for a hefty 1+ pound beast such as this! You eat your way across the bowl and suddenly realize all the food is underneath your shell! Quick re positioning is in order!089.JPG 090.JPG 091.JPG

Ahhhh! There is the food!094.JPG 097.JPG

This is by no means a recipe, as it is different every time he gets one depending on what is growing and what needs trimming, but during salad days, he gets one of these a day, plus a snack.
Other tasty ingredients include aloe vera, banana leaves, opuntia fruit, dandelion greens or flowers, etc. etc.

Bon Appetit!
~Tort Soux-Chef Gma. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love this thread, made me smile. What is it with them walking over their food, duh right, crazies. What's sad though, is the fruity pebbles container has a pyramided leopard on it:( obviously the maker of those think that they should be pyramided.
I can't believe those cactus are still standing and he hasn't demolished them.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Love this thread, made me smile. What is it with them walking over their food, duh right, crazies. What's sad though, is the fruity pebbles container has a pyramided leopard on it:( obviously the maker of those think that they should be pyramided.
Yet another reason they are just a salad topping and not actual food! The Snicker bar of the tort food world.....
I can't believe those cactus are still standing and he hasn't demolished them.
Ha! They're not. I just transplanted two new ones into the enclosure today. He destroyed them.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Another salad day while we wait (and hope) that Odin will let anything grow in his greenhouse.
As usual, he came running....
002.JPG 005.JPG

Today's special is a healthy serving of fresh, mixed grasses, a few crisp spring-mix leaves and a colon healthy serving of dried grasses and hibiscus leaves, garnished with a slightly wilted hibiscus flower fresh off the plant.006.JPG

Once again, lightly tossed in our special dressing of soaked, crushed mazuri and aged city water, served alongside a now coco coir covered slab of fresh pumpkin.007.JPG

Beak-licking good!
008.JPG

Yes, he knocked over the freshly planted opuntia to get to it, and yes, I righted it as soon as he got his big shell off of it.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
hahaha I seriously enjoy all the passion you put into your tortoise. Good stuff, really good stuff. Keep the updates coming, truly a beautiful sulcata.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
He has interesting scutes! Little cutie. I wish I would have grown winter crops

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yet another reason they are just a salad topping and not actual food! The Snicker bar of the tort food world.....

Pretty Pet Small Tortoise is actually a good tort food. I would not hesitate to feed it to mine.

Last edited:

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thanks all! Odin is now around 5 pounds and, now that it is summer, his salads have even more variety, including the addition of one of his all-time favs, squash flowers!
He gets outside for at least a couple hours a day (weather permitting) where he, of course, eats non-stop, and then I bring him in with a massive salad, you know, so he doesn't "starve to death" overnight. :D
Today we have massive thunderstorms moving through, so he was out for about an hour and a half early this morning before they started, and if they clear I will bring him out again. If I do I will take some snaps of his dramatically larger salads.
We don't do Mazuri vinaigrette or the fruity pebbles in the summer time. He has the run of the yard and his garden is RIDICULOUS, so no need for additional treats or nutrients for the next few months.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Today's special is a healthy serving of fresh, mixed grasses, a few crisp spring-mix leaves and a colon healthy serving of dried grasses and hibiscus leaves, garnished with a slightly wilted hibiscus flower fresh off the plant.

LOL. Now I am picturing him as a little old man sitting around worried about how his diet affects his colon health, like a commercial for Metamucil.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Today's special is a healthy serving of fresh, mixed grasses, a few crisp spring-mix leaves and a colon healthy serving of dried grasses and hibiscus leaves, garnished with a slightly wilted hibiscus flower fresh off the plant.

LOL. Now I am picturing him as a little old man sitting around worried about how his diet affects his colon health, like a commercial for Metamucil.
:D
He is grumpy like a constipated, little old man!

John Franzwa

Today was an indoor gardening day so I had a lot of trimming to do, and it made me remember what it was like last year when I was a panicked wreck about what a tort salad was, how often to feed, what was in it and everything else I could possibly freak out about, so I thought I would share Odin's lunch snack.
For reference, he does not get regular salads, not that there is anything wrong with it. I just prefer him to graze freely in his enclosure, choosing what he prefers at the time, and hopefully knowing what his body needs, but when things aren't growing well inside or out, particularly in our Minnesota winters, even I throw in a bit of store bought food. (about a dozen times in 19 months, but who's counting :confused:)

The special today, in Master Odin's bistro is a bed of fresh fescue (three varieties), tender young wheat grass, and a smidge of catgrass along with a couple of julienned hibiscus leaves, a few store-bought spring mix leaves and rough-chopped opuntia (fresh off the plant!)
This lovely ensemble is topped with a bit of freshly grated pumpkin (rind included) and a crumble of dried hibiscus leaves and just a hint of timothy hay......View attachment 157905

He is not a fan of the size comparison. Maybe he is conscious of his eating habits and he does not want the internet to judge him? I do not know, but this is the rough size of the salads he receives. I aim for nearly the size of his shell with fresh offerings.View attachment 157906

This delightful summer mix is tossed lightly with a vinaigrette of two whole mazuri pellets, soaked and crushed with only the best aged city waterView attachment 157907

And then topped with crunchy fruity pebble croutons, which you can't see because as soon as the salad is served someone starts shoving it in his face.
Alas my dreams of a tortoise food blog will never be realized because he is "starving to death" and can't wait a hot second for me to take a picture.
*dramatic sigh*View attachment 157908

Shh! He is distracted and can't see the camera!
View attachment 157909

These are the fruity pebbles to which I was referring. Last year when my son brought him home, these were the recommended foods the breeder told him about. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them, and obviously I am serving them now, but upon further research I am not comfortable making them a staple in his diet, particularly the first one because of the obvious added dyes.
On the other hand, I am cheap and unwilling to waste something that he obviously enjoys, so, when he gets a salad we use these as a light topping, which is why I call them fruity pebble croutons.View attachment 157910 View attachment 157911

He cannot get the food in his face fast enough.View attachment 157913

But eating can be a logistical nightmare for a hefty 1+ pound beast such as this! You eat your way across the bowl and suddenly realize all the food is underneath your shell! Quick re positioning is in order!View attachment 157914 View attachment 157915 View attachment 157916

Ahhhh! There is the food!View attachment 157917 View attachment 157918

This is by no means a recipe, as it is different every time he gets one depending on what is growing and what needs trimming, but during salad days, he gets one of these a day, plus a snack.
Other tasty ingredients include aloe vera, banana leaves, opuntia fruit, dandelion greens or flowers, etc. etc.

Bon Appetit!
~Tort Soux-Chef Gma. :p

I saw your in Minnesota! Didn't think there was any other tort keeps here, I'm currently reading through the thread! :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I saw your in Minnesota! Didn't think there was any other tort keeps here, I'm currently reading through the thread! :)
There aren't many, but you found us!

So, we did get a break in the weather about an hour before his bedtime! He decided a long time ago that his bedtime was around 6PM, and he is adamant about it!
First pic is his salad with my foot as a reference, ladies size 6.5-7 super wide!
171.JPG

This one has a grumpy tort as reference :D
185.JPG

It is a variety of grasses, with some clover, plantain dandelion greens, a few clover flowers and few squash flower petals etc. Nothing exciting, but he sure loves it!

John Franzwa

There aren't many, but you found us!

So, we did get a break in the weather about an hour before his bedtime! He decided a long time ago that his bedtime was around 6PM, and he is adamant about it!
First pic is his salad with my foot as a reference, ladies size 6.5-7 super wide!
View attachment 181177

This one has a grumpy tort as reference :D
View attachment 181178

It is a variety of grasses, with some clover, plantain dandelion greens, a few clover flowers and few squash flower petals etc. Nothing exciting, but he sure loves it!

I'll have to try it out for my Russian, for a meal once or twice a week thanks! I also may be getting a sulcata this summer! :D if I can find one for adoption or Somthing, thanks for the info