Sully the RN

Status
Not open for further replies.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
So I take care of elderly people and one of my residents is passing away and he loves tortoises, he asked me if he could meet Remi, I don't know if I should bring her in to see him, he doesn't have anything contagious, I don't want to stress her out, but I don't want to tell a dying man no. What do you folks think I should do, I told him I would have to think about it.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I think it should be fine as long as you both handle Remi with care.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think it is a great thing, just observe proper hygiene (odd I know for someone dying but better safe than sorry) and should be no problems.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I vote yes also. I don't know this man or what his energy is like but maybe Remi and him can feel one another and enjoy their time together mutually. Far out there I know :) but animals receive energy so much better than we can at times. Plus, it's a good memory for you!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I don't see why not. You would be bringing this man some happiness at a time where he probably does not have a lot to look forward to. I would just be careful like everyone else already said. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Take Remi to see him. I travel my tortoises all the time. Won't hurt a thing. Use a big plastic waterproof tub of some sort to travel, and soak Remi for a good hour prior to travel. This will make things a lot less messy. Bring some towels and a water source for rinsing anyway. You'll probably need it.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks every one, him and I are very close and he's very peaceful about dying he said he had a long beautiful happy life, he's been on hospice for a while but he's very active still, he jokes and says He will not let something like death slow him down. Tom I have a tub just like that :).

jpmcclure said:
Awe Remi. I think that's wonderful. If allowed pls take pics and share the moment. And tell him he's in my prayers.

I wish I could take pics but I can't :( I could lose my license and Job.

Masin said:
I vote yes also. I don't know this man or what his energy is like but maybe Remi and him can feel one another and enjoy their time together mutually. Far out there I know :) but animals receive energy so much better than we can at times. Plus, it's a good memory for you!

He still gets up and moves around but he knows that he's dying he just does not let him slow it down.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Yikes. I'll settle for the verbal story.

jpmcclure said:

I wish I could do what you do. I watched my husband die at home on hospice in 2007 at the age of 41. 5 1/2 mo battle with a very aggressive cancer (signet ring cell carcinoma). Our baby was just over 1 1/2yrs old. I was so strong back then and to this day, I have no idea how I did it. It takes a very special soul. Kudos to you and everyone in your field. You make the process for the patient AND the family somewhat bearable (for a lack of better terminology). Xoxoxo to you.

jpmcclure said:

I wish I could do what you do. I watched my husband die at home on hospice in 2007 at the age of 41. 5 1/2 mo battle with a very aggressive cancer (signet ring cell carcinoma). Our baby was just over 1 1/2yrs old. I was so strong back then and to this day, I have no idea how I did it. It takes a very special soul. Kudos to you and everyone in your field. You make the process for the patient AND the family somewhat bearable (for a lack of better terminology). Xoxoxo to you.

Sorry. Baby was 2 1/2

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
I'm not sure I understand what the concern is…….are you worried that your tortoise may get sick because your patient is old? is it even possible for a tortoise to catch something from humans? and if it is how horrible can it be? or are you worried about how the transport will affect your tortoise? again I never thought travel could cause them stress but if it does how bad can it get? Please know that I am by far no expert, I have sooooo much to learn but if I had the opportunity to bring happiness to a dying man, all of my torts would be going to see him, everyday if he wanted them, I wouldn't have even thought to ask, but then again like I said, I don't know anything compared to some people here, it just doesn't seem like it would do your tort any harm and more importantly I don't think it would do your patient any harm either.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
I'm not sure I understand what the concern is…….are you worried that your tortoise may get sick because your patient is old? is it even possible for a tortoise to catch something from humans? and if it is how horrible can it be? or are you worried about how the transport will affect your tortoise? again I never thought travel could cause them stress but if it does how bad can it get? Please know that I am by far no expert, I have sooooo much to learn but if I had the opportunity to bring happiness to a dying man, all of my torts would be going to see him, everyday if he wanted them, I wouldn't have even thought to ask, but then again like I said, I don't know anything compared to some people here, it just doesn't seem like it would do your tort any harm and more importantly I don't think it would do your patient any harm either.

I was worried about my tort only being 4mths didn't want to stress her out, and I have a strong feeling they could prob get respiratory infections from us, but I'm not expert either just wanted to cross check with people who know more :)

jpmcclure said:

Sorry. Baby was 2 1/2

Thanks so much! And sorry for your loss, I fully enjoy my job and I love the people and their families very much, it gets rough some times but I take joy in knowing I made their last few days as comfortable as I can :)

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
I see his chemo nurses every once in a while at the hospital and around town. They still remember me and the baby (who's 8 now) and Ray. They're genuinely happy for me seeing that life does go on and I'm happy again with my new husband and step kids. They ALL went to his funeral. It was so touching. I love each and every one of them. I'm sure there are dozens of family members out there who regard you the same way. Have a beautiful day and I'm really looking forward to the story of the play date. :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am one more who says "thank you" for what you do. My mother celebrated her 97th birthday this week and lives in a care facility. I believe that the caregivers are all angels and I love them all. (((hugs))) to you for what you do to make their lives easier and happier. Will look forward to hearing how the meeting went.

remitort071312

5 Year Member
Ohio
jpmcclure said:

Sorry. Baby was 2 1/2

Sorry for your loss and thanks it means a lot, I love my job :)

Ugh my phone is being a turd! Hahaha didn't mean to send that twice

Thanks everyone! I love and enjoy people fully, one day it could be me and will be me who needs and relies on others for my daily needs :)

DesertGrandma said:
I am one more who says "thank you" for what you do. My mother celebrated her 97th birthday this week and lives in a care facility. I believe that the caregivers are all angels and I love them all. (((hugs))) to you for what you do to make their lives easier and happier. Will look forward to hearing how the meeting went.

Thanks so much and I will do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.