Summer brumation, dos and don'ts?

Harvey_Halfshell

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton
Hi all,

I'm really annoyed by the lack of information on a google search about what to do when your tortoise burrows in their enclosure and there is a risk of night rain. My instinct is to dig him up or risk him drowning but tortoiseowner.com says "Do not try to prevent a healthy tortoise from brumating if it’s something his species is supposed to do. And never dig up a brumating tortoise." Yet another example of pious virtue-signalling with little or no information. What I need to know is why? and what are the alternatives seeing as I don't have a tortoise house and will Harvey drown from me not interrupting his brumation!??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi all,

I'm really annoyed by the lack of information on a google search about what to do when your tortoise burrows in their enclosure and there is a risk of night rain. My instinct is to dig him up or risk him drowning but tortoiseowner.com says "Do not try to prevent a healthy tortoise from brumating if it’s something his species is supposed to do. And never dig up a brumating tortoise." Yet another example of pious virtue-signalling with little or no information. What I need to know is why? and what are the alternatives seeing as I don't have a tortoise house and will Harvey drown from me not interrupting his brumation!??
Brumation is what they do in winter. Its not cold enough to brumate in summer. In really hot climates where the day time high gets over 38C every day for weeks on end, some of them will go into a state of aestivation, but I doubt this is the case in your climate.

Dig up your tortoise and keep him up, awake and active until it is time to brumate in fall and you've done the correct lead in. Try soaking him to ensure good hydration.