Sun Tan

Statepuff

Location (City and/or State)
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Exactly how much UV bulb should a tort get? I was told 12 on 12 off. 12 with heat lamp and 12 with UV by the pet store. I'm thinking they are way wrong! Honestly haven't been following it. They've been outside a lot. Except yesterday. We got the new hatchling sulcuta. The Hermanns was in the tank. He looks TAN! Also what's up with the calcium and phosphorus dust on veggys? I bought some calcium. Haven't used it yet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I set my lamps on a timer . The timer is set to day, night cycle of my location . Sun is up at 6:30 and sets at 8:00. So when the say out all day it's as close to the same as possible . I keep it dark at night no lights what so ever .

Statepuff

Irwin, Pennsylvania
I set my lamps on a timer . The timer is set to day, night cycle of my location . Sun is up at 6:30 and sets at 8:00. So when the say out all day it's as close to the same as possible . I keep it dark at night no lights what so ever .
But how much UV light? That's what I'm questioning. Read so much contradicting stuff.... My head is dead! I thought property law was difficult!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can do a 12 on 12 off if you want . Uvb light and your che or normal heat lamp on 12 then off 12 is fine . I don't use lamps for heat at night . I have a che on a thermostat .

Statepuff

Irwin, Pennsylvania
You can do a 12 on 12 off if you want . Uvb light and your che or normal heat lamp on 12 then off 12 is fine . I don't use lamps for heat at night . I have a che on a thermostat .
So is it normal for him to get major color change on his paws and face but not on the neck or parts that go under his shell? I feel like he's getting crispy! It sounds aweful but that's how I feel about it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats not a tan . Thats from the substrate you are using . If you have coco coir it will stain them .post a picture please if you can of your setup and tortoise.

Statepuff

Irwin, Pennsylvania
Omg! Someone was saying something bout that! It came with the terrarium. It was for tortoises! What do I use? In sorry.... My internet is my phone at the moment. This site is not phone friendly.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are you using the app on a smart phone?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't know about the facebook . But on my phone it have a attach on the top right . That takes you to your albums .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you are using a pc you will have to use tiny pic.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes I see your enclosure . What kind of lamp are you using for uvb? It isn't one of them coil type lamps is it? If you have a screen on the top the uvb will be diminished . Just so you know the coil type lamps will burn your tortoises eyes and have caused blindness in many lizards . The coir you are using will cause the (tanning) yiu are talking about .

Statepuff

Irwin, Pennsylvania
Yes I see your enclosure . What kind of lamp are you using for uvb? It isn't one of them coil type lamps is it? If you have a screen on the top the uvb will be diminished . Just so you know the coil type lamps will burn your tortoises eyes and have caused blindness in many lizards . The coir you are using will cause the (tanning) yiu are talking about .
Lemme take a pic! Now that I can do it!