Sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
How many hours of natural sunlight do you think are needed for a baby Leopard tortoise? Mine gets between 6 and 8 each day now.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh, that is more than plenty. 20-30 minutes a day, 3 times a week is enough.

Is part of the enclosure shaded, so the tortoise can get out of the sun when it wants to? Mine all head for cover once it hits about 82*F or 11 AM-ish, even the hotter weather tortoises.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
kyryah said:
Oh, that is more than plenty. 20-30 minutes a day, 3 times a week is enough.

Is part of the enclosure shaded, so the tortoise can get out of the sun when it wants to? Mine all head for cover once it hits about 82*F or 11 AM-ish, even the hotter weather tortoises.

He's got shade, but really seems to enjoy hot weather. It's usually at least 100 in the afternoons here and he seldom uses the shadiest spots in his outdoor enclosure. I check on him 1x an hour when he's outside and mist his shell. When he's inside, he is mostly under his basking lamp with a spot of 100+.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sounds like a happy tortoise ;)

Don't worry, he is getting plenty of UV. Just make sure he gets calcium and you should have no issues.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to leave my hatchlings out like that for hours at a time, but now I'm worried about it being too dry. I only leave them out for an hour or two, then back in the humidity, after another soak. How humid is it where you live?

I agree with Kristina about the amount of time required for good UV absorption. I usually say even a little less than that is fine. Of course, more is better.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I used to leave my hatchlings out like that for hours at a time, but now I'm worried about it being too dry. I only leave them out for an hour or two, then back in the humidity, after another soak. How humid is it where you live?

I agree with Kristina about the amount of time required for good UV absorption. I usually say even a little less than that is fine. Of course, more is better.

The humidity averages around 50%. I soak down his outside enclosure before he goes out and then repeat as I see it drying. I also mist him at least 1x per hour when I check on him. I soak him before he goes out and then when he comes in. Like I said, even when he's inside he normally likes to be under his basking light which is over 100 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.