Super fast growing, non-toxic vine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I am looking for a vine to plant over sections of lattice to create shady areas in a couple of my tort pens. I want something that will be hardy to zone 7, grow quite fast and be able to tolerate full sun on the top side. Any clues?

I suppose if I can't find anything, I will just use shade cloth, but I would much rather go the "green" route!

I am going to build little lattice roofs that are 2-3 foot tall - so it won't have to grow fast enough to cover a 6 foot arbor or trellis, but I would like to have it come in fairly quickly, and come back fairly quickly next year. Nice cool and cozy little bowers for my Boxie and possibly a couple of Refoots!

As I am typing this, lol, I am starting to think I am a goof and I should just look and see if I can find any fast growing grape vines.

At any rate, if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would reccomend a grape vine, mine grows like a weed every year, and it provides plenty of food for your torts.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks - now that I posted, I am really starting to think grape is going to be the best option. I can keep it pruned to keep it under control.

Do you know what variety yours is? I'm stumped on that aspect.

I will check out the Muscadine and Passiflora, also!!!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I actually have 3 grape vines now, thompson seedless, concord grape(purple) and the red variety I believe.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In your area I would suggest concord or fox grapes. They grow wild in Michigan and are hardy to zone 4. Also honeysuckle is good. Why zone 7 as you are zone 4 or 5 ?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks!! I might see if someone has some concords that they will allow me to just dig some up, lol.

moswen

5 Year Member
i'm sorry kristina if i'm stealing your post, someone slap my wrists if i am, but i really just have one quick question: is it okay to plant your grape vine in such close proximity to your tort enclosure? since the grapes could fall off and into the pen? (i am curious bc i have a grape vine too that i was planning on planting far far away from them!)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would worry more about it, but the pen is for Boxies and Redfoots, (two SEPARATE pens, one lattice roof extending over both) which are okay with having a bit more fruit than say a Sulcata or Russian.

Also, I can clip some of the bunches off before they are ripe, that will not only make the bunches left grow bigger/better, but that way they never get to the ripe stage of falling in the pen :) The leaves are very good for them to eat.

Also - don't worry about hi-jacking. It was a good question :)

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
No,I'm serious.They grow really fast, makes a pretty vine that climbs like crazy. Plus you'll get some nice luffahs for the shower.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I've grown them before in the garden, years ago, but never considered that application - I'll keep that in mind too.

I'm not gonna have room for all the stuff I want to do *grumbles*

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
We never have enough room to do what we want,.

Status
Not open for further replies.